Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway bar link replacements choice overload

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
I've just down my front struts, and notice the sway bar links rubbers have split. This is a 16 year old/180,000km Commodore Acclaim, so these originals have done well i guess. I've checked online and there are a huge number of different 'stabilizer sway bar link' options. Some are black, some silver, some have little nodules on the back side some don't. Most have at least 2 year/50,000 guarantee. Shall just go for the $35 for a pair no-name online? Or there's Kelpro $36 each (so $72 for pair), and Repco's Nolathane brand are $100 a pair. It seems there is a difference in product where some have these nodules/some not.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess it depends on what you want from the suspension or how much you want to spend.

cheapest option would be to just replace the worn out bushes where the link pin sits in the strut bracket. Personally, I always upgrade with something like this.
72f554ab529f4894b056ccfb73c6e5b3.jpg

It gets rid of the bushes that fail and should never need replacement again.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I guess it depends on what you want from the suspension or how much you want to spend.

cheapest option would be to just replace the worn out bushes where the link pin sits in the strut bracket. Personally, I always upgrade with something like this.
72f554ab529f4894b056ccfb73c6e5b3.jpg

It gets rid of the bushes that fail and should never need replacement again.
links fail too.

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
links fail too.

Yes they do but mostly because they don't articulate properly due to the lack of flexibility of the original design. Using the link arms with ball joints at both ends eliminates the binding issue that occurs with the bushes and in my experience prevents the arms from bending/failing.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes they do but mostly because they don't articulate properly due to the lack of flexibility of the original design. Using the link arms with ball joints at both ends eliminates the binding issue that occurs with the bushes and in my experience prevents the arms from bending/failing.
No I'm talking about the joints wearing out. The teflon inside wears down and they start knocking. It happens to all cars eventually.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Now I'm with you.