Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sway bar...

nmj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim S2
should i get a sway bar... are they all they are cracked up to be?
they are only 200 so there not expansive... i just want a stiffer ride round corners etc..

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
What brand? The standard sway bar is usually adequate. It is generally the springs that are too soft that causes most of the cornering issues.

MBS206

Reaction score
If you check out what NASCARS are doing for best cornering, they're going the largest torsion/anti roll bar as possible (Commonly, and incorrectly I've been told, called a sway bar) that they possibly can on front and back, without throwing cornering out, and then putting in the softest springs/shocks...

Enables body roll to be minimal, and when hitting a bump mid corner, car doesn't unsettle as single wheel takes the shock in easily, when in a straight line, ride comfort is unaffected as springs are soft and roll bar doesn't come into play in a straight line.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The vr to vx commodore come out with 140lb front springs standard with a substantial sway bar. The CAPA modified front springs run from 340lb to 620lb depending on the wire size.
What the nascars do makes sense for a car set up with the correct geometry to prevent dive under braking. A passenger car is built with too many trade offs to have this effect.