Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swine Flu - Over hyped (rant)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
It's not called swine flu because its particularly bad for pigs - it's because it came from pigs and crossed the species barrier. That fact is not to be taken lightly, because it often means that the new host species hasn't developed an immunity or resistance to it, which I expect is why it has a higher mortality rate in humans than the common flu.

So over-hyped? Perhaps, but no more so than anything else the media outlets decide is flavour of the month. P-platers, economic crisis, Rex Hunt, etc. At least it's taking the focus off the bloody economy.

There has been some sensationalism around the issue, but it's still a significant event.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
I work at a airport and find it amusing the amount of people wearing dust masks to prevent the swine flu, dusts masks will do nothing to stop the flu, maybe people should be wearing rubber gloves to stop those little germs from spreading or those plastic painting suits. I need some cheap laughs while I'm working.

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Acclaim
did ya hear the news 2day, swine flu may have infected millions and we should all b prepared 4 swime flu related deaths!!! but no1 seems 2 worried about the fact that obama has spent twice as much money in 60 days of office, then george bush did in 8 years! when r we gonna get the real news??

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
did ya hear the news 2day, swine flu may have infected millions and we should all b prepared 4 swime flu related deaths!!! but no1 seems 2 worried about the fact that obama has spent twice as much money in 60 days of office, then george bush did in 8 years! when r we gonna get the real news??

if i still lived in america i might actually care about how much the president is spending, but since this is australia, i dont

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Has anyone seen the ads that the government's been running tonight on swine flu? Apparently we all need to throw away our used tissues and make sure we cover our mouths while sneezing...god, how stupid do they think we are? :bang:

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
well if the US spending continues at its current rate it will continue to negativly affect the worlds economy 2 the point of depresion and the eventual introduction of a north american currency which would abolish the US and canadian dollar and the mexican paso. So the australian dollar would no longer be strong against the american dollar which would in turn affect our economy. also the amount of money spent on the iraq war could solve world hunger 3 times over. So i think that mite b slightly more important then swine flu, but thats just my opinion :p

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
also the amount of money spent on the iraq war could solve world hunger 3 times over. So i think that mite b slightly more important then swine flu, but thats just my opinion :p

go start a new thread about it then

scorp

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY SerII Acclaim
i heard a conspiracy its being overhyped so that governments stock up on the drug tamiflu becuase 'top' ppl have special interests in the company....wouldnt suprise me if this was true..make tens of millions of dollars for releasing a virus..

Medical Director: Swine Flu Was ?Cultured In A Laboratory?

Toddlez

Reaction score
Members Ride
could be rite, there was an asprin company in America that accidentaly made a $h!t load of HIV infected asprin, instead of destroying them they sold them in Europe and infected many people with HIV just so they could make a profit, point being that large companies will do anything 2 make a profit

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
could be rite, there was an asprin company in America that accidentaly made a $h!t load of HIV infected asprin, instead of destroying them they sold them in Europe and infected many people with HIV just so they could make a profit, point being that large companies will do anything 2 make a profit

HIV infected asprin? Something has gone seriously wrong in the production process if they have managed that!

I swear there are people who sit around all day making this crap up and selling it to whoever is dumb enough to believe it...oh wait, it's called the media