Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SX6 2005 Holden Adventra off grid camper wagon

Vinterisen Rose

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden Advetra SX6
20220124_142805.jpg

I have owned my Holden Adventra for around 7 years now.
She is the Adventra Base model 3-6L alloy tech V6.
2 months ago I invested in a basic solar power system (deep cycle AGM battery and power invertor). not currently set up as a dual battery system with an isolator as yet.
I have turned my wagon into an off grid touring camper and have only really started to utilize the cars capabilities for such purposes.
My car is completely stock standard.
The only major issues I've had with her in the past was a computer fault.
I replaced the ECU (at a pricey cost) about 3 years ago, essentially being the only issue I've ever had with the wagon.
aside from the painful fuel price hikes we are experiencing here in Nazitearoa I absolutely love this car.
You kind of already know that AWD wagon is going to be thirsty.
for a big auto wagon this car moves exceptionally well and has no problems over taking other vehicles. As standard she hugs the road well.
I use cruise control on highway journeys that unto itself is a great way to ease off the right foot and save on the fuel.
I am currently exploring the option of a lift kit and moving to a larger all terrain tire size.
I understand and acknowledge my cars limitations as an AWD wagon, but even as a stock car its capabilities on easy off road terrain / beaches are surprising.
This car has taken me up to some good altitudes with access to off grid freedom camping sites and local mountains for alpine adventures.
I've kept the car as a 5 seater so I can take my kids and passengers on journeys, I've got a good tent for sleeping in with a rear shade awning.
I've utilized the rear of the wagon well with all of my camping and mountaineering gear firmly set in place with ease of access to everything. everything is modular and can be taken out or rearranged.
otherwise the rear gear will remain a permanent fixture.
Total black outs in the rear end to keep my stuff nice and cool, with Plans to install a Dometic camp fridge and rear end camera for reversing out of busy supermarket car parks.
The rear of the wagon is constantly evolving, fine tuning the placement of everything, upgrading with scoop purchase recycle shop bargains, always looking for innovative ways to better utilize the space.
the only mods I've done at this stage is a roof rack tray to put the spare tire on and to hold a jerry can.
I mounted an LED light bar to the tray. and a set of daytime running lights. would like to add a nudge bar to her. ( Sadly they don't come cheap.)
my only few minor complaints are - the limited fuel tank size, a nicer exhaust system for a bit more of that rear end burble wouldn't go astray. (that's a mod that can be done I guess.) sadly there are no factory recovery points on the vehicle. A front pull recovery can be done via two inserts in the K frame.
I looked at a few other AWD station wagon manufacturer's before I settled on the Adventra - Subaru- Audi- Volvo.... Euro is damn expensive to repair, You wouldn't catch me dead in a Ford Territory (Or any Ford for that matter.) I believe that Subaru are complicated and difficult to repair, especially in the engine department.
Its the best of both worlds with the Adventra Primarily its an Australian made Holden That's not an SUV unlike the soccer mum craptivas. Its an AWD commodore, its easy to get parts in from OZ via Sparesbox (without the 300% mark up on products that the local automotive chain stores tack on here in NZ).
This is my 6th Holden that I've owned, This girl is definitely a keeper, I'm enjoying challenging myself and my wagon out in the wild and nature.
Ill post a pic of the rear end set up at some stage.
stoked I found this site too.

And yes... I do have a Holden tattoo ha ha
Cheers.

Last edited: