Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Symptoms of leaking EGR pipe?

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I'm wondering what the symptoms of a split or leaking EGR pipe might be? Just trying to rule some stuff out. Any help would be great, Gus.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
  • rough idling or stalling
  • a smell of fuel
  • increased fuel consumption
  • pinging, tapping, or knocking sounds
  • failed smog test
  • Check Engine Light on

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Interesting. Thanks for your reply. Might it cause the lh o2 sensor to behave differently? My check engine alarm only comes on from time to time when on gas. I do smell a shitty smell sometimes on petrol but not often. I also smell gas ocasionally. It sure doesn.t idle poorly or stall though. Maybe it.s not an issue.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Interesting. Thanks for your reply. Might it cause the lh o2 sensor to behave differently? My check engine alarm only comes on from time to time when on gas. I do smell a shitty smell sometimes on petrol but not often. I also smell gas ocasionally. It sure doesn.t idle poorly or stall though. Maybe it.s not an issue.
Leaking exhausts may be the issue with the smell.
If you want grab a coke can and cut off the 2 ends the cut it so it lays flat, remove egr and trace around it and cut the same shape, then cut the 2 ears off where the bolts go thru and place it on top as a seal, refit and bolt down and test drive it if it feels better then its the egr has failed or blocked.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Thanks again for your reply. Might you be able to explain the coke can idea any further? Does it go in place of the egr valve or pipe or both etc?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks again for your reply. Might you be able to explain the coke can idea any further? Does it go in place of the egr valve or pipe or both etc?
Just blocks off the gases from recycling.
Sits in between blocking the gases.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Ok, thanks for your reply.