Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Synthetic oil vs. mineral

Which oil is more effective?

• Total voters

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Synthetic, runs cleaner and lasts longer. Haven't used a mineral oil in 7 years.

H

harrop.senator

Pends on motor I've found LS motors like fully synthetic and a thin weight or the roller lifters can become blocked. Same theory for the v6 being roller but have had no issues running thick oil mineral or synthetic in high km motors.

In 304 or 355's I only run performance mineral with a high zinc count.

Also found that with old motors even when running same weight as mineral the new fully synthetic oils can leak from gaskets that didn't leak before hand.

All the testing says that the fully synthetic oils are better in 90% of applications. I myself just run the appropriate penrite weights pending engine. 20w 50 high performance mineral in my flat tappet motors and I think the 15w 40 or 10w 40 full synthetic in the l67. Both motors have all new gaskets and I'll be running same brand and weight once break in oil is emptied on both for the full length of ownership.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have always run a Semi Synthetic oil in my LS1, never had any problems, maybe if you are looking at extended oil changes or drive extremely hard the full synthetics are maybe better, thing is a lot of oils marketed as full synthetic actually are not, there are only a very small group of oils that are true synthetics. I have had my VX SS serviced at several performance workshops and they have always popped in a semi synthetic oil, mine does very little km between changes though, usually around 3 or 4 thousand km.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I’m still confused.
Buying your own oil from the myriad on sale is like accompanying your wife into a dress shop. (Does my bum look big in this? / Does my car need this oil ?)
I get my oil changed every 7K, and I accept whatever my servicing mechanic tells me he puts in, and as long as it is the correct grade, that will do me in my ignorance.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
thing is a lot of oils marketed as full synthetic actually are not, there are only a very small group of oils that are true synthetics.
Correct!
Fully synthetic lubricating oils are synthesized from mineral oil base stocks, if it states oil on the packaging, it started as mineral oil.
True 'synthetics' are usually phosphate esther based, but require a percentage of mineral oil for its lubricating properties.
These are usually known as lubricating fluids.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Absolutely but that doesn't mean all 'minerals' or as you put it oils that are not fully synthetic lubricating fluids are made equal.
So I use one of the 'full syn oils' like Synpower or HPR5 because they are much better than the bottom rung mineral oils but don't cost the $$$$ that the racing fluids cost.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Absolutely but that doesn't mean all 'minerals' or as you put it oils that are not fully synthetic lubricating fluids are made equal.
So I use one of the 'full syn oils' like Synpower or HPR5 because they are much better than the bottom rung mineral oils but don't cost the $$$$ that the racing fluids cost.
I was just stating that 'fully synthetic lubricating oils' are mineral oil based, if it states 'Oil' on the packaging.
Have never used Synpower, but I do use, and recommend Penrite oils, mineral and synthetic, depending on application.
I service quite a few late model V8 Commodores for friends, always have a few 20l drums of HPR5 and Enviro GF-5 in the shed.
My opinion is you cant beat Penrite oils in a L76/L77/L98/LS3.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Exactly, highly refined from mineral oils, dodgy name but good oil...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Technically, they are 'fully synthetic', just 'fully synthesized' from mineral oil base stocks.