Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

System for a VZ Ute

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
hey all, im looking at doing the audio in my ute soon when finances allow me haha but so far these are the components im looking at:

Pioneer Double Din H/U: AVH-P4350DVD Double-Din Multimedia Player with 7-inch Screen, SD card input, iPod Control, USB and Aux-in - Pioneer DVD Player & Screens

Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Competition Level Splits for in doors,

and either a 10" or 12" sub and amp combo not 100% sure yet.

Im not looking to blow any systems outta the water im just after a loud system with high quality sound and good bass haha so i just wanted peoples ideas and opinions on my choices and maybe a good sub/amp, also just wondering what were peoples opinions on a four speaker stereo in a ute? i think it may be an overkill but personal opinions welcome, thanks guys

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Four stereo speaker in a ute is very pointless, will sound a lot worse than a good two speaker stereo. Whats your budget for your front speakers / sub / amps all up? If you are set of getting a sub, I would suggest a 4 channel amplifier to run your splits off the front two channels, and sub bridged off the rear two channels. I probably wouldn't recommend the RF splits though, i've heard most of their speakers before and don't rate them. If you let me know your budget I can make a few suggestions.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
I run dynaudio components in the doors/tweeter holder, some Italian brand (something to do with tornado) to power them, and a soundstream tower amp to power a soundstream sub in the inspection panel under the tray, all running through the stock head unit - it sounds fantastic.

4 speakers in a ute sounds like poo, you're much better off with a single set of good splits.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
ohk yeah i wasnt keen on 4 speakers my mate has them in his vu and its only loud bit not great quality haha and that sucks about the rockford speakers then i thought they were supposed to be good haha

@ sweefu you reckon its best to amp the speakers rather than run them off the H/U for SQ? i dont really have a budget i just save up for what sounds the best but i dont plan on blowing S###loads on it haha what would you suggest for good SQ and price? like i said im not looking for entering comps just make some good quality loud noise haha

@ one_and_only2004 ive heard of soundstream how do they sound for price?

in my old ute (98 dual cab rodeo) i had a clarion H/U with direct ipod and whatnot, Clarion 4" 2 way in factory spots, Kenwood 3 way 6x9s in custom box behind rear set and 10" Fusion Tube sub and amp combo and i was pretty happy with how it sounded

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, running the speakers off an amp is better always, even a crappy amp will be better than a headunit most of the time. A headunit produces 12-18wrms, its nothing. As for SQ, yes again, I have 500wrms running to the front stage of my car, which I enter in SQ competition.

Whats your budget like? For a lower budget, look at perhaps a Jaycar Response 4x100wrms amp. This will give your splits plenty of power and still have ~380wrms @4ohm for your sub, very nice figures. Similarly for splits with a lower budget <$300 i'd suggest maybe some Morel Maximo, Crescendo Opus 1, Morel Tempo, Boston S60.

Don't forget wiring, this will be around $80 ish.. Are you installing yourself? A little bit of the budget going to some sound deadening for your front doors would make a massive difference to the output and SQ of your splits.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah ill probs install most of it myself, and yeah i was looking at wiring, is that aerpro stuff any good? its seems the same as all the others. ive never heard of any of these brands of speakers either haha what about like pioneer and kenwood and clarion? are they the same as the other ones just with a brand name or whats the go? and sound deadening defs worth it? cos whats it change and is it hard? sorry with all the questions haha i just like to know everything before i jump in to something lol

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
i can recommend that headunit...ive got one in my car and it runs great :)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The brands I quoted are all very good brands, you will see many people with 'high end' car audio systems using these brands. The models quoted are the brands entry level components, very good, much better quality, much more refined and an overall better sounding experience compared to the equivalent Kenwood or Clarion speaker. Though, this is all in my opinion. I urge anyone I talk to about car audio to go and listen to speakers before buying them, ultimately you must like how they sound; you are the one listening to them.

The DDL splits are quite nice, though like all Alpine speakers I find the tweeter a bit loud and harsh. The retail on those speakers is ~$450 - ~$500 isn't it? Again I would take many other sets of speakers over those for that sort of money.

Aerpro gear is fairly reasonable. I have used all Aerpro 'Maxcor' power / earth / fuses in my car until recently, I rate it highly because it is fairly good quality, easy to install and easy to find. It will be more than fine for your system, they do a '4 Channel 4 Gauge wiring kit, available for around $80, this would serve you very well, as it comes with speaker wire etc and everything needed.

You still haven't said, what is your budget? :p

EDIT: I see you linked me to the coaxial speaker, not the component system. These cost similar money to the component speakers I suggested, and will not sound nearly as good.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
on the website it said the DDLs were $230, and i was only looking for coaxials cos i dont think the vz ute cabin has tweeters in it? im not sure, are components better speakers to go with for me? and im not sure on my budget haha but id say probs up to and around $300 for speakers, $800 to $1000 for sub/amp/box, the headunit is $600 and whatever else ill need like wiring ill just get. ill google them brands now cos im on my tafe lunch break haha