Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T- converter

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The YouTube vids on the servo are pretty vague. When i searched they didn't tell you how to remove it with the trans in place. They also don't show you how to shim it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem with a well used trans is the fact it is well used and parts do wear out which causes low line pressure in various parts = slippage. Another problem with the early 4L60e's are the cooling lines, the later models (VT onward) use larger cooler lines as the earlier models tend to run fairly hot and heat is the number one killer of auto transmissions. Sonax does a great list up upgraded parts that should make a stock trans hold plenty of power.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah i need to replumb my trans cooler in. I moved it from against the rad and behind the condensor to in front of the front engine fan. At the moment its blocked off to keep the dirt out. I have the reamed valve and bigger valve fitted along with the boost valve. The last economical upgrade now the trans is coming out will be the Vette servo. Shift kit might not happen while the trans is out, unless it needs to be out to have it fitted.
Even though its has some miles on it, the last time it was serviced the tech said it seems to be in decent shape.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
That shift kit can be fitted why the transmission is in the car

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks too technical i won't be attempting it and looks like a big job. When i find a trans tech i will ask him about whether it can be done during a service procedure or if its a tear down?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I didn't see him show you how to shim the servo correctly. Shimming is a must or you won't have 4th I will pay someone for 40mins labour rather than risk messing it up. Besides i don't have any shims a trans tech should have a decent supply.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Most of the time with components including stock band, corvette Servo, servo cover they don’t need shims, but it’s always best practise to check anyway. The instructions that come with the shift kit will tell you how to shim the servo if required.

Only thing you’d need to pull the trans apart for is the apply piston springs - and that’s optional and only really absolutely necessary for transmissions operating at 6000rpm+.

Tbh, again I don’t think it’s worth spending your money on for a v6 especially if you need to pay somebody to do it for you. If it were a demanding engine like an ls1 with some work done and it had its work cut out for it, I’d definitely kit it properly (like I did with mine). Throw a good second hand trans in if it starts to give up. They’re cheap enough.

The kits can be fitted whilst in the car. May need to drop y piece to gain access to pan.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My skills are fairly limited and i don't like to push them too far. I undertake jobs that i know i can do without stuffing it up. Trans work i have never done and really don't want to start, hence why my original post was about finding a bloke that can successfully do the work i want done.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks EYY i will leave the shift kit, since it can be done at some stage during a service if i so desire. Yes to remove the pan the Y pipe definitly needs to come off.
My servo piston kit didn't come with any instructions. The trans will be out so its cheap enough to have a servo fitted, while its out. I just need to find a bloke who can successfully complete the job.