Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T- converter

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
upgrade over stock?

Totally subjective in this case. Torque converter is something you usually make a choice about in conjunction with cam specs and the cam's specific power band/curve in mind. Outside of that it doesn't make the transmission run "better" in any way. Like everything else you will only make the most of it with tuning for that power band too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Totally subjective in this case. Torque converter is something you usually make a choice about in conjunction with cam specs and the cam's specific power band/curve in mind. Outside of that it doesn't make the transmission run "better" in any way. Like everything else you will only make the most of it with tuning for that power band too.
I was told a higher rev lockup would give me increased acceleration and was worthwhile even with the few mods I have. I had NFI what the stock converter lockup was but looking into it further it would seem the one at RA in the link was basically stock anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Having gotten more info from other members though, yes it seems it won't be of any real cost benefit ratio over what I have. So am not going to worry anyway unless mine wears out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Torque converters are very subjective things and it really comes down to use. The beauty of the modern lock up converter is you can go with a slightly higher stall for better acceleration without it effecting cruise because the converter is locked so stall speed is irrelevant anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Question, is a T700 converter an upgrade over a stock 4L60e converter? Or are just the same. Only ask because the donor i have has a T700 written on the converter.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
T700/4L60 are the same thing. T700 is the old name, much like the T350 and T400 transmissions. The 700 became the 4L60 and the T400 became known as the 4L80.

You would really need to find out more about the converter from the previous owner.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok, bummer, I was hoping the T700 was maybe a HD converter. It's obviously a SH replacement because some wrecker wrote T700 on it with a paint pen.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Shorter diff gears like 3.45-3.70 would be more noticeable....once all basic/cheap mods are done with buick not much left to get out of it unless start spending decent amount on it which is why most stick to basic mods & leave it at that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah and that's it. I kinda figured i am getting to the point that the only decent upgrade is forced induction. Really need to stop pouring all my spare money into the ute anyway. Once the chain is sorted and i can give it a decent test i reckon i will be pretty happy with its performance anyway.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
A torque convertor will multiply torque un till speed matches engine rpm even a stock 304 feels like it wakes up with a small convertor upgrade