Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T- converter

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A torque convertor will multiply torque un till speed matches engine rpm even a stock 304 feels like it wakes up with a small convertor upgrade
Would you mind telling me what i would need to tell the blokes in Melb who rebuild the converters in order to get the most from my rockers, Pacies, memcal and CAI upgrades? I don't think i will have it done just yet but just in case i do decide to upgrade, I'd like to know what to ask for.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You just tell them what you’ve done to it and they’ll advise you on the best way to go. Give tce a call if you’re keen.

Got a histall in my vx and it’s nice but the PO paid around $2k for it. Imo if you do decide to go v8 in the future, then think about histall/cam etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ahh yes i called them around 400 plus freight for something with a slightly higher stall. Does 350 - 400 higher sound right? I really know nothing about the converter and what makes them better.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thinking I should probably leave the converter for now. I have spent big money on rockers and soon more big money fixing the engine. Question though if I decide to get a new TC; can an old trans if it starts to wear out and ruin a new converter? Wondering if the latter is the case whether I consider a shift kit? I think I have enough money for one or the other including the engine repairs. Although I tend to get carried away and pump all my spare coin into my hobbies, which is ok but probably not real wise. I should really settle for a Vette servo this time round. If I can find a decent trans tech I could probably ask him the questions when he installs the new servo. My usual bloke is not accepting new jobs as he is booked out for over three months, annoying because he is good, really good.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
My mate spat a 4l60e in his vy Berlina with cam and otr got one moderately built but stupidly reused the fairly new torque converter put the old shavings through the new box and only lasted 10000 before he lost first gear again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah if i have a box rebuilt I would go new converter. I was more wondering if old box and new conveter is not a good idea? I have a spare so once i find a trans tech i will get him to do the shake test and pick the best one to go in and keep the other for a reco and modified and upgraded to a higher stall.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
If it feels right and tight on changes I can’t see why not but I’d only throw one in to suit a decent cam not on a fairly stock motor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I dropped my trans off today to have a servo fitted. I also showed him a spare converter i had, hoping to use the best one. He reckons its a 3500 stall converter. He didn't recommend fitting it. I am right in saying its too higher stall to use?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Got a pic? Did it look the same as a stock one?

AFAIK they need to be tested to assess stall rpm but don’t quote me. Most of the time they have an anti balloon plate and are a smaller diameter if they’re 2800rpm and up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't have a stock one to compare as the trans tech has it. He said something about it being smaller.