Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 borg warner gearbox difference help lol

KingswoodCommys

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Commodore
Gday guys first time as a member using this site and im really hoping someone can help me out with this question, Im doing a motor and gear box swap on my vr v6 commodore sedan,
the motor that i pulled out of my car was from a vr calias hooked up to a t5 borgwarner "basic 1a"
Im swapping that with a v6 motor from a vr series 2 acclaim wagon which was an auto.
i also have a spare t5 that was on my old vr ute it was hooked up to a vn prior to it being written off and it has different bering set up on the input shaft and where the other t5 is stamped "basic 1a" this one is stamped
" -2a " the imput shafts look the same just the -2a has a 2 peice set up with a solid metal sleeve that the bearing slips into and the basic 1a has a one peice set up withe the bearing molded into the plastic sleeve.
Everything else looks pretty much the same i just want to if there are any advantages from using either box and what, if any the differances between the two are?

Cheers guys justcommodores has saved my ass a many of times with tricky questions but i just cant seem to find much on this