Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Gearbox Making Scraping Noise VS Ute

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi,

I have a VS Ute with a very noisy gearbox. Not sure what treatment it had by the prvious owner but im guessng not too nice. There is a noise coming from the gearbox that sounds like something is scraping on something each revolution it makes.

I have put the car on jacks, put it in gear and got under it to have a listen and it sounds to be coming from the front of the box.

Also, it happens in 1st and 2nd the worst but im not sure if that is just because you only dont notice it in higher gears. Reverse is just as bad as 1st. Sometimes when in neutral and the clutch out there is a bad constant whining noise and im guessing this depends on the orientation of the gearbox when stopped because it only sometimes happens, The whining goes away if you put the clutch in. The once per revolution grinding/scraping noise can also be heard when rolling with the clutch in or in neutral.

The shifter seems really loose as well when in gear, like it feels when in neutral with a normal gearbox.

Just wondering what I am up for, and whether I can fix it myself. I am assuming the answer will be a new gear box, but just wondering before I go put on in or get one put in and turns out it is something else. Would it have anything to do with the driveshaft centre bearing?? Because im a bit suspicious of it...

Thanks heaps.

FusionX

Reaction score
The loose feeling to the shift may be a worn out damper sleeve. This is basically what the ball of the shifter sits in, it's a little plastic cup that sits in the offset lever.

You describe both a whining noise and a grinding/scraping noise. If these are 2 seperate noises, the whining could be either your thrust bearing or input shaft bearing and the grinding noise could be either your output shaft bearing or centre bearing in the driveshaft. Best case scenario is the thrust bearing and driveshaft c/b as they won't require a gearbox rebuild (depending on the gearbox you have to how costly that could be)

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Thanks heaps. Spose its hard to diagnose it properly without seeing/hearing/feeling it first hand. But thanks for that.

Another thing i forgot to mention is that when you take off in 1st from a stop, you can feel it load up on something as you start going. Not really sure how to describe it. Sort of like the drive shaft uni joints are loose maybe and you can feel the play in them? Not sure. And when going from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 1st, you can actually feel something movel, a subtle clunk, even when you just do it with the clutch in.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
More noise in 1st and 2nd would normally indicate a worn rear countershaft bearing (would be almost silent in 4th).
Sounds like the box is coming out.