Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

t5 gearbox problems

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
hey having sum whinning noises coming from my car i think its coming from the gearbox, u can only hear it when u got ur toe on the accelarator just cruizin. im hopeing like hell it aint a bearing because it cost me big $$$ last time to get it fixed in my old T5, im also thinkin/opeing it could just be low on oil.

so my question is where is the fill up hole on the gearbox? i had a quick look last night b4 it got too dark and i seen a allen key bolt on the bottom side of the gearbox is this the plug to top it up?? n what side is it on??

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
That will be the drain plug mate. The fill plug is a bit higher up on the drivers side

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Drivers side just above half way up. It's a allen key type bolt and looks similar to the drain plug on the bottom.

Reaper

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
yeah the fill plug is right above the drain plug and when you drain it out put the bottom plug back in and run a hose with a funnel from the engine bay to the top hole on the box to fill it.

i always fill it till the oil starts coming out the top hole in the box so you know its enough and another thing try using a tube of lubrizol with auto fluid as it works great with these box's and i wouldnt go back to anything else

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
yeah i filled it up this morning and its still making the whine!! grrrrr!!! ****!!!! im beginning to think it is a bearing now, last time getting a bearing replaced cost me $1500 ( i got stooged, fkn wankers!). im going to have to get it fixed none the less just take it elsewhere this time..
few questions
do u rekon its worth spending the money on the t5,or spending the money gettin a supra box or something like that?
what gearbox is ideal? what can take a bit of abuse? ive seen nothing but trouble from t5's, this is my second t5 with issues, and my mate blew his reverse in his
would a supra box bolt straight up or do u have to get a diffrent tail shaft or anything else?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
probably lay shaft bearings its not that hard to build a manual yourself if you have some mechanical nouse.no gearbox will like WOT too much really they all go in the end unless you go for a T56 or something silly.ive run supras on my old VK 308 was fine used to tow transporter decks with it and stuff just dont drive hard or tow in 5th or youll spin the cog off the shaft making it a 4 speed.but again they dont like to much full throttle action.