Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Shift Enhancers

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cant really say, maybe half way? I bought the box still full of gear oil. Possibly because the wreckers diddnt have the correct hex key to remove the drain plug. I dont blame them - I had to modify an old 10mm hex key. I filled the box until it started to run out the filler hole with the car level.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if it had gear oil ide go back to gear oil the syncros are probably to close on the tapers not spinning enough.does it change down gears better than up.if the clutch is high ide adjust it down a bit and make sure it has freeplay at the top of its travel or you could wear the plate quick if its too tight

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
It was slightly easier to downshift, no doubt because its not having to slow the input/lay shaft from a high RPM. Clutch pedal has free play, but it might be worth adjusting it properly with a tape measure even just to see how far off I was. Hmm now considering going back to gear oil. :bang:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
save the trans fluid and for minimum outlay it would be worth trying the gearbox oil instead if it doesnt work out you can allways put the ATF back in later

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
in my bro's old vr on the 1st oil change we put gear oil and the box absolutely felt like **** so a few days later we changed it to atf and lubrizol and the difference was amazing, so much smoother and quieter to drive.

when i did my conversion i put atf and lubrizol and the box feels beautiful, nice easy shifts and it is quiet so i will never be changing to anything else. just put in lubrizol and you will love it but the hardest part is tracking it down, took a week to get a tube cos no one stocks it

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
So with the pre VR T5's ATF is ok instead of Gear Oil which is recommend?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hmm, never heard of using ATF in manuals. Might help with my crunching of 2nd gear when cold.

It's almost essential, unless you use Castrol VMX 80 which is specifically designed for gearboxes that require ATF.