Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Shift Enhancers

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
From Haynes workshop manual:

VN, VP and early VR models = 75W/80 oil
Later VR and VS models = Dextron IID, IIE or III ATF with 150ml of lubrizol

From Gregories workshop manual (VS only):

Series 1 manual transmission:
Lubricant = dextron III and 150ml of lubrizol 7906

Series 2 manual transmission:
Lubricant = 75W - 85W gear oil

I think the series 1 VS was the T5 and series 2 was the getrag. There seems to be a bit of confusion here, If VN through to series 1 VS used the T5, does it require gear oil or ATF?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Something obviously changed around the VR era. Because I have never ever seen a VN/P workshop manual suggest using an ATF. We have books at tafe of vehicle oil listings straight from the oil manufacturers and they also say to use gear oil for VN. Diddnt think to look at later models because I just assumed all commodore T5's were the same. My Gregorys manual for VP says to use "Shell gear oil XGO 75/90". But I may give Penrite gear oil 80 a shot.

MANUAL GEAR OIL 80 - Penrite Oil

Another quick thought - my box came from a VN S1, which had gear oil in it when I bought it, so it must be ok to use because there obviously wasnt a need to swap to something else. :)

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems Lubrizol 7906 is ridiculously hard to find. Most of the auto shops i visited hadn't heard of it. Only one had, and they last had it in stock 8 years ago. LOL! C'mon is there an alternative i'm not aware of?

Last edited:

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
i looked around a bit too for some and most said they couldnt get it, went to repco and they said they just sold thier last tube and refused to order some in so went autobarn and they were right onto it took them a week but they got it and they stocked up too for me for next time

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got tired of chasing up the lubrizol so i just got G70 and chucked that in with the ATF. So much smoother than the gear oil, no more crunching 2nd. Happy chappy.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Picked up a bottle of gear oil 80 today. Last one on the shelf! Ill stick it in and give it a shot tomorrow. If still no good then back to ATF + additive.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i've run ATF in my VNs1 T5 for years. better then the gear oil. haven't bee nable to track down the lubrizol either however.

FusionX

Reaction score
I've always used either a good quality gear oil or ATF 95LE. Found the gearbox a little less noisey with the ATF in there. Either way, I've usually smashed the gearbox before wear from oil became an issues (T5's... really not a good track box).

Avoid Redline oil... using that cost me a new set of syncro's. To quote my gearbox rebuilder "Don't use that smurf's blood"

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well the gear oil is in. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet (running on fumes atm), but I must say its much quieter (barely any neutral noise now), selecting 1st was effortless and its a much more pleasant oil to deal with lol (pretty much clear in color with barely any smell). I can also go through ALL the gears easily with the engine off and clutch in. With the ATF 3 out of 5 gears wouldnt select without a bit of force followed by a *crunch*.

The test drive will be the decider though. If im still not completely satisfied then on the next oil change I will try an ATF again, but for now I cant be bothered filling it again because its a pain in the ass. :p

Also found this on the Penrite site under "VR commodore statesman" for manual oil. They dont list VN/P anymore for some reason, so VR was the closest. And funny that statesmans diddnt come in manual :p.
Models after VIN L746706 - ATF DX-III with 150ml Lubrizol additive.

My VIN is **********L516605. For just "VR commodore" it says 'Manual Gear Oil 80'.

EDIT: Realised my VIN doesnt really matter. But the donor car would have still been older than mine. :)

Last edited:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'm personally a fan of the gear oil :) Castrol VMX 80 was recommended to me by Timmy on here, and it's been fantastic. Pricy as liquid gold, but well worth every dollar. :)