Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Shift Enhancers

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, finally got around to giving the VN a propper test drive after being converted to manual. It all runs sweet, but the gears are a bit hard to shift. Its mainly 1st and 2nd, then 3rd onwards is less noticeable.

It has fresh Penrite Dexron III but I remember hearing something about an additive people use along with the ATF. I tried a quick search but as you all know the search function is pretty useless lol.

It could be worn syncros (hope not), but its all gears so hoping its just a fluid issue. Its not a shift mechanism issue because it shifts smoothly with the clutch in and input shaft stopped.

Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the additive is lubrizol (629 i think)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
How do you mean hard to shift, crunchy? or just needs a bit of power to move around ? the T5 isn't really a girly gearbox it needs a decent effort

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Just needs a bit of force to synchronize the gears, like the syncros dont have enough friction would be a good way to describe it. Might have to teach myself to double clutch :p. But no way is it crunchy, or makes any noises really - which is a good sign. :)

Ill have to give the additive a go anyway. Thanks immortality!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
LZ 7906 - Penrite Oil

Bingo!

Also, I read that pre-VR should use gear oil and that it works fine. But arent all BW T5's used in commodores the same? Apart from V6 and V8 differences of course. I know that my box is a WC, and that WC's apparently need an ATF. But also read that using an ATF will cause premature wear due to being alot thinner, but gear oil can also cause premature wear. Bah! So confusing!

Going to try this lubrizol anyway. Seems people think it makes a noticeable difference.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
ATF is good for the synchros, and not fantastic for the WC needle bearings. Gear oil is fantastic for the bearings, and less good for the synchros.

Try gear oil with added lubrizol :) Both bases covered.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Ah makes sense. But in the data sheet for that lubrizol it states its for 93-95 commodores, obviously VR. And not designed for use with gear oil. Dang lol. What could have been so different about the VR T5's?

May as well just give lubrizol a go seeing the box is full of fresh ATF, then on next oil change Ill give gear oil a go. If it doesnt work out then I know I can always fall back on ATF + lubrizol (if it works ;)).

Morton: What do you use exactly? And how do you find it works?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is you clutch cable adjusted enough it may just need a little more pull amasing what an extra 1 or 2 mm will do.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
The clutch pedal sits just a tiny bit higher than the brake pedal. I first had it level with the brake pedal but it diddnt feel right. All I know now is that theres enough travel to completely release the clutch plate - when the cars idling on the spot and you press the clutch pedal in you can faintly hear the gearbox slow down, and then doesnt grind when selecting reverse.

Havnt been bothered to set it properly but it seems fine where it is at the moment, but the fork pivot ball height is set spot on and the fork isnt bent.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
how far from the floor does it start to grab when you let it out 1 cm or so.sometimes ATF is good when the syncros wear out it gets them closer to the tapers so they grab better a thicker oil holds them off the taper further and lets them spin more which helps line up the gears for a smooth change.what did the box have in it before hand did it smell like horrible gearoil or ATF.did you just stick 2 litres in or fill till it just starts running out the bung on the side of the box.