Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Speed Sensor Wiring Issue

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Hey all,
I have a VS Series 2 ute I have recently done a manual conversion with from a VR and everything is so far so good apart from the speed sensor wiring.

I'm using the auto wiring and ECU and have connected the purple/white from the sensor to the purple/white wire that goes to the dash (dash side of the white plug that goes to ECU), connected the pink/blue wire to a 12v source (pushed wire into radio fuse slot with fuse), and have the black wire on a bolt underneath the car.
Also, I've chopped the plug off the VR loom to plug into the speed sensor as I couldn't find any small male spade connectors.

I've read plenty of these wiring threads and thought it would be cruisy, but I still don't have a speedo.
Does anyone have any ideas, or maybe where I'm going wrong?

Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could be wrong but I was of the understanding you need a manual ECU.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
That's one way of doing it and probably a lot more simple, but trying to keep the costs to a minimum if I can help it. I feel I'm doing something simple wrong, or maybe it being a getrag series vehicle and I've got a T5, but surely that couldn't be stopping it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How much have you been quoted for an ECU? I picked up a VR one the other day for $40.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
I haven't bothered looking down that path yet, but I read somewhere that I'd need the wiring along with the ecu or is that incorrect?

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Okay so I now find the T5 uses a different signal to getrag and auto. Does that leave me to get another ECU or is there such thing as a converter that can pull me out of the mud?

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Getrag has different speedo signal wave so need convertor box,no idea if your ecu has that signal if auto ecu.

From memory vn/p wire off speedo sensor goes to cluster....vr-s goes to ecu -bcm-dash cluster.

Thought going manual on these meant repinning ecu plug & manual memcal?

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The t5 signal works fine when wired like you have it feeding the dashboard via the violet wire just the ecu won't read speed.does the speed sensor have the drive pin between it and the box and is it intact they can snap

Lunchbox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Ute
Thought going manual on these meant repinning ecu plug & manual memcal?

I got a memcal, but might be worth a try on the repin idea.

The t5 signal works fine when wired like you have it feeding the dashboard via the violet wire just the ecu won't read speed.does the speed sensor have the drive pin between it and the box and is it intact they can snap

Yeah looked all good, the box didn't come with one so I grabbed one off eBay and it looks alright, I'll have another look today though and try new things.