Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 Too Ecotec Auto motor questions

JackVYCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executie
Hey all new here but just have some questions about my swap.
I currently have a 2004Vy V6 ecotec auto and I’m looking at converting to a t5 box what is everything I’ll need other than the box clutch and flywheel too complete this?.

Also will I need too do much tinkering wiring wise too put this box in my can mean recess lights will it all just plug in with original loom.

And last of all what ecu should I use?

Been trying too doo some research but I’m getting different thing in different posts apparently there’s something different with the autos crankshaft?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
T5 was never in a VY. That will be a custom tailshaft, custom/modified pedal box (as it pulls for a clutch cable), custom gearbox crossmember, VS series 1 flywheel, ECU reflash (can't just buy a memcal), probably a couple of other things I can't remember off the top of my head. You should look for a Getrag conversion.

The auto and manual crank difference is that the manual cranks have holes for dowels that align the flywheel. A lot of people here will tell you to drill the holes and put them in, there are also plenty who haven't and just bolted it straight to the auto crank.

JackVYCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executie
Hey man okay any idea where I would get all this custom stuff done? Just curious because I already have the T5 gearbox also I’ve been looking at getting this flywheel too combat the auto crank problem
https://www.marks4wd.com/mfk1247ec.html

I’ve also heard that you need too modify the exhaust when doing the manual swap

And last but probably not lol
What do I need too do wiring wise with the T5 too get everything too work reverse lights etc

JackVYCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executie
I’ll look into getting the Getrag box but I already have some of the stuff laying around here and heard that box is weak

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Hey man okay any idea where I would get all this custom stuff done?

If you're paying somebody to do fab work it would probably end up cheaper (and better) to just buy a manual VY. The Getrag is fine especially if your car is relatively stock (basic bolt ons etc...), usually they need the shifter cup bushing replaced because the gearstick becomes sloppy over time.

Flywheel would solve the problem of finding a VS S1 flywheel which would be a PITA, but it's pretty expensive - and it's the same as just bolting the flywheel to the auto crank. Exhaust will be the least of your problems. Wiring I have no idea (nobody has really done T5 into VT on wards), but the speed sensor that the VY uses is totally different. There's a good chance the speed sensor will work but you'll have to work out how to wire it in.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought the T5 uses a specific PCM? Not sure if running a T5 whether you do need the actual T5 manual PCM or can use something else? Need to have the flywheel matched to the crank though AFAIK but that's part n parcel of a manual conversion.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I thought the T5 uses a specific PCM?

For VR/VS yes, this is correct. VN/VP used the same speed sensor auto/manual, and at least for the VT there's a number of ECUs that will do both. Whether that carried all the way to the VY I have no idea particularly with the soldered chip design instead of the memcal.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4117#p52780
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=501&hilit=16199728

As an aside it's also possible to convert a VS auto ECU to manual by adding a few resistors.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1377&p=15740#p15740

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
When I did my auto to t5 swap it was from a VS to a VS with both complete cars sitting side by side.

Just wanted to note that the metal braket that the brake and clutch bolt on too were different on the auto so i had to install the one out of the manual. It was just a small plate and a hole that was missing but still.
So maybe get under your dash an look for the place to bolt the clutch up (as in is it there or was that section of the braket never added on your model/auto setup) and remember that the T5 has a physical cable attached that will need a strait passage through the firewall.

Sounds like the computer will be the major hurdle tho. Best of luck.