Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T5 vs Celica/supra box

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
Hey,
as the title suggests, i was after the pros and cons of each box, costs involoved in the conversion, and any other info that may be relevant.

thanks

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Im running a supra box behind my 253, perfect with 3.08 gears. 1st is awsome, lights up easy, still get some wheel spin into second and 5th just cruises round 2300 rpm at 100. Conversion wouldnt be too much, you can get kits from $500-1000.

Oh and sorry to sound biased but I know nothing about the T5's.......

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
That's not bad. I get about 28 with my trimatic. Still looking to convert to an Aussie atm though.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey,
as the title suggests, i was after the pros and cons of each box, costs involoved in the conversion, and any other info that may be relevant.

thanks

I'd pay 400 for a T5 mate max if it came wit the conversion kit plus about 4 hrs install max "do it yourself " depending on your mood.

That's not bad. I get about 28 with my trimatic. Still looking to convert to an Aussie atm though.

That's about the same as mine mate :thumbsup:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I'd pay 400 for a T5 mate max if it came wit the conversion kit plus about 4 hrs install max "do it yourself " depending on your mood.

Mate find a V8 T5 for below $1500 that isnt shagged and you will be doing well. The 6cyl boxes are a different story and go pretty cheap depending on their condition.

Im pretty bias towards a T5, most of the 5 speeds gearing is a much of a muchness and are all pretty similar. Installation wise I personally think a T5 does a better job.

Which ever way you go you will need to fabricate a tailshaft or have one made for you.

With the toyota boxes you need to use a toyota clutch plate with a holden pressure plate which can be a pain.

Also if you use a toyota box you would need to measure up the inside of your crank and buy a spigot bush the right size for the toyota input shaft.With a T5 you use a standard holden one.

Last but not least in an early commodore a T5 shifter sits back a good 30-40mm further than say an aussie 4 speed. Its actually in an excellent position for shifting. Down side is you need to modify a manual transmission tunnel cover to allow you to shift into 2nd,4th & reverse :).

cheers
Scott

VLCrewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB\VL Crewman
With the toyota boxes you need to use a toyota clutch plate with a holden pressure plate which can be a pain.

Also if you use a toyota box you would need to measure up the inside of your crank and buy a spigot bush the right size for the toyota input shaft.With a T5 you use a standard holden one.

cheers
Scott

Castlemaine Rod Shop make everything you need to Convert to a Supra, including spigots and tailshaft yokes, and if you've got the old cluch system (cable or mechanical) They also have hydraulic clutch systems!. Also, PBR make a Holden v8 to Supra adaptor clutch, which is the same price as a normal clutch!

bigg_vin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
ok, so i am guessing that the supra boxes are more expensive than the T5s. i can get hold of a T5 out or an EL xr6. would this not be adequate?

thanks

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
What sort of motor is it going to go on?. A 253/mild 308 they are fine but a 355 Stroker will kill a T5 if not treated right. Only thing you would need to bolt a Ford falcon T5 is the right bellhousing.

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
Last but not least in an early commodore a T5 shifter sits back a good 30-40mm further than say an aussie 4 speed. Its actually in an excellent position for shifting. Down side is you need to modify a manual transmission tunnel cover to allow you to shift into 2nd,4th & reverse .

cheers
Scott

Below is a pic of where the shifter (T5) comes through the tunnel and how i over came the problem of the shifter location. Not the pretties looking thing but it worked.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Wow vk3800 thats some great thinking, every had any other problems with that afterwards? could u possible make that joint shorter?