Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 gearbox problems

Vinnae

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Vy ss 5.7l
Hey guys I've got a 2002 5.7l vy ss commodore with t56 6 speed manual box with a new clutch kit put in and a machined fly wheel. There's also a rip shifter that was installed by the previous owner. Atm
I cant seem to select first gear and it requires some force to select any other gears. With a decent amount of crunching noises happening with every shift. Im not sure if the syncros have gone bad or if the clutch isn't releasing properly. Any advice wouldn't be greatly appreciated

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I would check if you have a hydrolic clutch if so bleed and make sure it's the right level ..check linkages are good ...I never had a vz manual so not sure but those are the usual easy fixes places to start ..maybe research hydrolic clutch and linkages for vz

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
These have a concentric slave cylinder. They're not easy to bleed. The issue is air trapped in the slave.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Changing to the right oil helped my t56 changing but still isn't very good. Hard to get in 1st, occasionally reverse.

I can't remember the oil that people recommended to me.
Penrite pro gear 70w75 is the oil for these gearboxes does definitely help but sounds like the op has a problem with his clutch