Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 Into a VR

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I'm seriously considering putting a T56 into my VR Berlina? I know it's possible to do the job (used the search function).

Is it possible to run the Cable clutch and not the hydraulic system?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
zf 6 speed from vn group a was cable (rare as hens teeth)

vr-vs gts 6 speed had weird cable to hydraulic set from memory (rarely see them for sale)

To do most common hydraulic setup you either buy aftermarket Mal Wood item or wait ages for vs series 3 clutch set up

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
zf 6 speed from vn group a was cable (rare as hens teeth)

vr-vs gts 6 speed had weird cable to hydraulic set from memory (rarely see them for sale)

To do most common hydraulic setup you either buy aftermarket Mal Wood item or wait ages for vs series 3 clutch set up

Cheers for that... I can get the pedal box and floor plate to suit the T56 easy enough but thought I would look at the cable set up if it wasn't to hard. Think it's going to be the Hydraulic set up if I go the T56.

I guess it's also worth weighing up if it's worth going to the extra cost and trouble of the T56 or just go the T5??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is what you want https://dellowconversions.com.au/product/tremec-t-56-6-speed-chev-v8-308-304-bellhousing/
Tremec-T56-6-Speed-to-Holden-V8-253-308-Bellhousing-300x300.jpg

I'd love to grab one of these myself for the Senator one day.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
There is no clutch fork on the T56, it's a concentric slave cylinder that goes around the input shaft and moves backwards and forwards, so adapting it to use a cable clutch is hard without a bell housing (should see if people have had issues with the Dellows one). Hydraulic systems are way better anyway.

The VT onward pedal boxes won't fit into the VN-VS, however the VS Series 2 and 3 manuals (the Getrags) ran a hydraulic setup with a pedal box that would probably suit this.

The other things you'll need to factor are a custom tail shaft, clutch to suit (or possibly an aftermarket flywheel to suit), and a new gearbox cross member that will probably have to be fabricated.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is no clutch fork on the T56, it's a concentric slave cylinder that goes around the input shaft and moves backwards and forwards, so adapting it to use a cable clutch is hard without a bell housing (should see if people have had issues with the Dellows one). Hydraulic systems are way better anyway.

The VT onward pedal boxes won't fit into the VN-VS, however the VS Series 2 and 3 manuals (the Getrags) ran a hydraulic setup with a pedal box that would probably suit this.

The other things you'll need to factor are a custom tail shaft, clutch to suit (or possibly an aftermarket flywheel to suit), and a new gearbox cross member that will probably have to be fabricated.

I don't know about that, I've driven a few cars with oem hydraulic clutch systems and they just don't have the feel of a cable clutch, sure they are easier to operate but the lack of feel bothers me.

Tail shaft is easy enough and cross member isn't that difficult either or you could get one from Malwood and flywheel/clutch's should be easy enough to source.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
Cheers for the info guys!!! I can get a pedal box to suit the t56 into the VR and the floor plate to suit. still undecided if I will go the T56 or just the T5.

From what I have read there is a kit I can buy to suit with crossmember and front section of the tailshaft etc. It's not the cheapest option but it would be nice, I would have to change the diff ratio and a couple of other components (have a manual ECU and Loom).

Will have to put the thinking cap on and make up my mind..

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
With a T56 really you would want 3.9/4.11's in the diff to make good use of 6th gear.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I used to think 3.9’s were far too short but not any more. Got them in my auto ss and revs at around 2350 at 100kmph and still uses less fuel than my 5L with over 100rwkw more. I’d even go 4.11’s with an auto, and certainly wouldn’t hesitate with a manual. My only gripe with shorter diff gears is that the useable rev range in each gear isn’t always ideal.

For example with 3.07 at 100kmph it’ll kick back into second if you want it to - but it’ll only kick back into 3rd with 3.9’s. Not a big deal though. Can still manually select 2nd if really needed and I could always alter the tune.