Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 Into a VR

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
100% was thinking the 3.9.. should make it a good all rounder. out of curiosity how hard is it to find 3.9 ratio for a VR IRS?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BORG-WARNE...h=item2a520201c3:g:HIYAAOSwu4BVm2pk:rk:7:pf:0

I used to think 3.9’s were far too short but not any more. Got them in my auto ss and revs at around 2350 at 100kmph and still uses less fuel than my 5L with over 100rwkw more. I’d even go 4.11’s with an auto, and certainly wouldn’t hesitate with a manual. My only gripe with shorter diff gears is that the useable rev range in each gear isn’t always ideal.

For example with 3.07 at 100kmph it’ll kick back into second if you want it to - but it’ll only kick back into 3rd with 3.9’s. Not a big deal though. Can still manually select 2nd if really needed and I could always alter the tune.

I'm off the same opinion. I think the Senator will end up with 4.11's with the auto as it currently sits and then if/when it does get a T56 it will be perfect. I don't do a lot of highway driving and I need all the help to get close to my mate at the strip who as extra 50 cubes over mine.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I used to think 3.9’s were far too short but not any more. Got them in my auto ss and revs at around 2350 at 100kmph and still uses less fuel than my 5L with over 100rwkw more. I’d even go 4.11’s with an auto, and certainly wouldn’t hesitate with a manual. My only gripe with shorter diff gears is that the useable rev range in each gear isn’t always ideal.

For example with 3.07 at 100kmph it’ll kick back into second if you want it to - but it’ll only kick back into 3rd with 3.9’s. Not a big deal though. Can still manually select 2nd if really needed and I could always alter the tune.

I leaning towards a T56 into the VR and from what i'm reading the 3.9's or 4.11 really assist with the take off and the usability of 6th? Think it's going to be a big build... lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BORG-WARNE...h=item2a520201c3:g:HIYAAOSwu4BVm2pk:rk:7:pf:0

I'm off the same opinion. I think the Senator will end up with 4.11's with the auto as it currently sits and then if/when it does get a T56 it will be perfect. I don't do a lot of highway driving and I need all the help to get close to my mate at the strip who as extra 50 cubes over mine.

about 90% of my driving is on country roads so I'm looking for the balance of FUN and practical driving at 110kph often. My VS 5ltr I just sold would eat my LS1 SS Crewman not to mention 5ltr would also sound so much better.. I'm hoping with a mild build on the engine the T56 and the 3.9 or 4.11 and power to weight she will go OK and hold it's own?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I live in the country too, so plenty of highway driving and no dramas at all. No exhaust drone either - just seems to be in the right rev range that it’s not labouring at all and isn’t under much real load at cruising speeds which I think is why fuel economy is good. Barely need any throttle when taking off too because of the mechanical advantage of the shorter gears.

Agree with the sound of the 5L though lol

Have heard that 1st gear is almost useless with 4.11’s but 6th is more useable with t56 so maybe 3.9’s would be a happy medium although there’s not really much in it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
1st with 4.11's/T56 is about the same as a V6 T5/3.08 gears. I worked it all out on a spread sheet once. Short but usable, 1st gear is good for about 1.5 seconds of acceleration before you grab the next gear, I like rowing gears so have no issue with it. if my memory serves 4.11's/T56 puts 6th at about 1800rpm@100km/h which is just about perfect for cruising.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah never understood the surprise about 3.9/4.11 gears whenever told people what gears were in my cars.

Anything under 3.7 is tall gearing to me haha