Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T56 low grind w clutch depressed in gear.

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Hey everyone,

Had the clutch and bell housing replaced around December 2012 after a couple of clutch plate bolts sheared off and smashed it up. (Not from being a dick head, the clutch shuddered terribly. Should have replaced it earlier.)

Since I got the ute back there was a small high pitched rattle from the gear shift lever around 3000-3500 rpm. Now the rattle has gone but I think I'd rather have it back!

The issue that developed this morning is a low grinding noise when in gear, with the clutch pedal depressed. Release the clutch pedal and it drives fine, no funny noises or vibrations. This issue does not occur with the gear box in neautral even when pumping the clutch pedal.

I have read about there being a pin in the shift linkage that can come out and cause trouble. I think that maybe that has occured and now the gears are not engaging correctly due to the linkage being out of adjustment. Then when load goes onto the gears by releasing the clutch, the gear engages properly. I could be full of it though.

If anyone could offer an opinion about this problem, I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Anyone have ANY thoughts?

TigaVTSS57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
i have a noisy spigot with clutch pressed in. did yours get replaced?

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Thanks Tiga,

I'll give the workshop a call tomorrow and ask. For the cost, I will be less than happy if it wasn't. The sound is quite similar to this video, but no way near that bad.

When I can hear the noise I can also feel vibrations of the same frequency through the gear lever. Does yours do this too?

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesrking

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy clubsport r8
noise with your gearbox from earlier this year

hey mate just wondering what was actually wrong with your car.
my car is doing the exact same thing like between gears with clutch depressed its making a grind noise and when im driving and drop it from 4th to 3rd it will grind untill i release my foot from the clutch.
cheers mate!

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
It was the spigot bearing.