Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

T700 Problem. What's the way to go ?

Morses World

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Commodore executive
Hi All,
My VN V6 S1 that's done around 450000km's Auto has started taking along time to get into gear on cold mornings, but once it's going it runs very well. It's been regularly serviced. Also the car has never been fitted with a tow bar before.
Is there any T700 Geeks that can tell me what is wrong with it. Can I just put new seals throughout the box, or is there something else wrong with it, to keep it going with not much trouble. I am Dreading having to pull the box fully apart.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
The seals inside have hardened and need replacing, when the transmission fluid warms up it softens the seals, time to grab a rebuild kit and get another 450,000 k's out of it.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Have you checked the fluid level with the engine idling hot and adjusted the kickdown cable?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The OP has done well to get 450k out of the trans. Obviously it has been looked after and is now needing a rebuild or replacement as it just old and tiered.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
It's not a kickdown cable, and adjusting it shouldn't make a difference with temperature.
Engine running and hot referred to checking the fluid level. I had similar symptoms a few months ago and adding a small amount of fluid and adjusting the cable fixed it. The problem hasn't recurred since . Personally, given the effort involved in changing over a transmission, I'd get it rebuilt rather than getting one from a junkyard. Even with the junkyard's warranty if it fails you still have to take it out, put a new one in and keep going until you find a good one. And these cars are getting real long in the tooth these days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Personally I'd get a rebuild but it's a big expense 1500-1600 for the build and another 500 for a convertor and another 300 to remove and refit, if you don't pull the trans yourself. You want to be sure the car is a keeper before forking out that kind of coin.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
If your rebuilding it yourself.

Rebuild kit $500
Torque converter $500
Labour $0

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If your rebuilding it yourself.

Rebuild kit $500
Torque converter $500
Labour $0
Or rebuild a unit from the wreckers before you install it. Better than just a set of seals.
But I'd try the simple things on the old box first.

Last edited: