Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TACHO instal by Fuzzy

was this helpfull

• Total voters

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
this is how i did my tacho and shift light install, :thumbsup:

i have been asked by several jcers how i wired my tacho up :dance:,

i am aware that there is "the ultimate tacho thread" witch i found usless and full of **** so please don bring this to my attention because i dont care :yeah:
(if u cant tell im ****y :realangry:shooting: )

What u will need ;)

Electrical tape
Phillips head screw driver
Wire strippers/crimpers
Test light if u want
Automotive wire
Ratchet + socket
Spanners
Cable ties
Self taping screws
Soldering iron and solder or some ugly connector thing like I used

Step 1, first thing is to find somewhere to mount the tacho and shift light that still allows you to access the nobs behind it, remove the dash parts that need to be removed.

Photo-00152.jpg

Step 2, the tacho feed wire is located under the bonnet, and it is in the wiring loom that is closest to the drivers seat, the feed wire it self is the negative brown wire,

Fin
PA100056.jpg
d some where to feed the wire throw

Step 3, strip the wires (rpm and -neg brown) back and joined them together using a solder iron and solder or a connector thing.

Step 4, find a power sauce for the tacho, I used the 12v/ + positive (red) wire in the cigarette lighter some use the coil pack its up to you,

PA100069.jpg

Step 5, the illumination wire is ment to be connected to the parking lights so when they turn them on the tacho back light will turn on, I just wired mine in to the cigarette lighter,

Photo-00142.jpg

Step 6, the memory wire is ment to connected to a constant power supply like the battery, once again I just wired mine in to the cigarette lighter,

Step 7, earth the black wire (negative) out on the appropriate surface or just connect to the negative wire on the cigarette lighter (black),

Step 8, put her back together, :w00t:

Photo-0005lmu.jpg

PA100046.jpg

a few other things :yarr:

Tacho-Diagram1-Copy.jpg

Tacho-Diagram1.jpg

Capture.jpg

Street20Machine20-20Tach20Tech2028e.jpg

Capture.jpg

If I forgot anything let me know and if u use this as a guide let me know of the outcome either way :thumbsup:,

if u kill yourself :rofl: or your car or someone elses car or something im not responsible :cry: ..............

fuzz :yarr:

txhog

Reaction score
Yes thats helpful, although didnt work, maybe its the tacho im trying to use.:bang:

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
Yes thats helpful, although didnt work, maybe its the tacho im trying to use.:bang:

hmmmmmmmm very strange have u tested the tacho in another car?

what kind of tacho is it?

☠fuzz☠

txhog

Reaction score
Its a smaller one, no name chinese one 80mm.

The Dark One

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
did you ener get your tacho working. I bought a new tacho and hooked it up to the brown wire and it won't work. I'm getting about 2 volts from the brown wire and someone else posted that may not be enough to run a tacho so I may need to get a tacho amp?? Any suggestions?

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
did you ener get your tacho working. I bought a new tacho and hooked it up to the brown wire and it won't work. I'm getting about 2 volts from the brown wire and someone else posted that may not be enough to run a tacho so I may need to get a tacho amp?? Any suggestions?[/QUOTE

Have u wired in the power wires