Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tacho intermittently working

Watsford

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
Hey guys, my tacho in the vs s pack has been working on and off since I got the car a few months ago, had a problem with the car stalling so done the CAS since then the tacho has been fine except when I turn on the headlights it goes to zero if I turn headlights off the tacho goes back to working again fine. As a another issue the odometer has stopped working about 2 weeks after I got the car I reset the trip meter and it just sits on zero.
Thanks in advance

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Not an expert, just throwing some suggestions out there.

Tacho, bad earth in the instrument cluster, maybe. Look it up, you should find where the problem likely is, but I've done that fix and mine still occasionally stops working, and also takes out the temp gauge. A whack on the dash usually sorts it until the next time, if I can be bothered. It's a V6 auto, tacho is mostly for decoration anyway...

Odometer, did you reset when the car was moving? If so, the gears might be smashed. Apparently the gears will break if you reset while moving. Mine still works, but I've stopped myself a couple times from resetting while moving because I don't want to find out if it's true or not. I don't know the exact mechanics of what breaks and what stops working, but it might be what's happened to you. Again, look it up and it might explain your problem.

Hope it helps, even if it's all a bit vague.

Stu.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
The odometer cogs common fail. As above resetting while moving is a common reason for them to shed teeth.
if you want to give it a go you can source the cogs online and there are some videos kicking around on how to.
I wrote up a guide with photos but I don’t think I ever posted it up here.