Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tacho / speedo sticking

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I've just put a level 2 cluster in my VN. The fuel and temp gauges are good and read OK, but the tacho and speedo stick and don't read correctly. I had a look through the sticky fuel/temp guage thread but couldn't see an answer to this problem.

The needles move freely and return to their stops OK when the cluster is out of the car.

Any ideas? Slightly worried about getting caught speeding due to the sticky speedo.:cops:

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
whereabouts you from?
if you from SE melb, i have a few L3 clusters you could try out

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Got the same problem, few flicks in the mornings does the trick.. as we have said 'Its the VN Handshake' Seeing other vn drivers getting there dash a tap..

ey Timmy_Tam are your L3 Cluster's a str8 swap in or need re-wiring.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I'm in the west! Thanks timmy_tam, but i'm not sure I can be bothered rewiring to fit an L3 cluster.

Unfortunately i've been 'tapping' my dash so much the surround for the cluster is falling off now!!:ranting:

Does anyone know if a VS L2 cluster will work ok? And did they have the same sticky gauges problem? Plenty of those about in the wreckers near me.

timmy_tam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN calais 91
don't know if you would need to rewire, theres a thread or sticky available here
you could check them out
but yeh, if you still wanted to check em out, pop on down :D

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah,i'll have a look at those threads. Thanks! I looked at a VS level 2 cluster today but the wiring on the circuit board behind it is totally different. Got VS faces for my cluster now though:D

Might take you up on trying a level 3 cluster if I can't get this one going properly.

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
Same problem here mate, fitted a level 2 cluster and taco and speedo sticks. I just swapped the speedo from the level 1 cluster i took out and that fixed that problem but dunno whats the go with the tacho!. Unplug from the car and taco returnes to zero. Let us know how you get on. Cheers.

H

HATER VP

timmy_tam said:
whereabouts you from?
if you from SE melb, i have a few L3 clusters you could try out
Whats the L3 cluster from?