Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tag for the GMH Gurus.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What is VAP? Is the "body number" on the tag? The stamped number on the strut tower is not a "VIN"? What does "matching tags" mean?

The body number or VIN should match the tag that starts with AVK or BVK....If the tag number doesn't match the body number it has had a tag swap

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
The body number or VIN should match the tag that starts with AVK or BVK....If the tag number doesn't match the body number it has had a tag swap

oh dear.... for starters the vehicle identification number is a number/alpha string that identifies,
the car maker, the car line, the model and other stuff including a number the car maker uses
to ID that particular vehicle. This is a legal requirement around the world.. and started as a 14 number/alpha string
(like VBs were something like - 8K69LHJ123456B)and is now 17 characters long for any vehicles sold in Oz.

It will NEVER match the AVK or BVK number chassis number (VB was AVB98765A (or S or M )for vehicle assembly plant of manufacture)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
oh dear.... for starters the vehicle identification number is a number/alpha string that identifies,
the car maker, the car line, the model and other stuff including a number the car maker uses
to ID that particular vehicle. This is a legal requirement around the world.. and started as a 14 number/alpha string
(like VBs were something like - 8K69LHJ123456B)and is now 17 characters long for any vehicles sold in Oz.

It will NEVER match the AVK or BVK number chassis number (VB was AVB98765A (or S or M )for vehicle assembly plant of manufacture)

One of the tags on my VC matches the number stamped on the body, which starts with AVC...Depending on who you talk to, this is either called the body number or VIN number or chassis number.....Your choice what you call it but this number stamped on the body should match one of the tags

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
One of the tags on my VC matches the number stamped on the body, which starts with AVC...Depending on who you talk to, this is either called the body number or VIN number or chassis number.....Your choice what you call it but this number stamped on the body should match one of the tags
Problem is a lot of people do not know what they are talking about.
The number stamped into your strut tower, the one with the AVC prefix is the 'chassis number'.
That number must match the corresponding AVC prefixed chassis number stamped into your ADR Compliance plate.
The chassis number does not correspond to or match up with any of the numbers stamped into the VIN tag or the Body ID Plate.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Problem is a lot of people do not know what they are talking about.
The number stamped into your strut tower, the one with the AVC prefix is the 'chassis number'.
That number must match the corresponding AVC prefixed chassis number stamped into your ADR Compliance plate.
The chassis number does not correspond to or match up with any of the numbers stamped into the VIN tag or the Body ID Plate.

So putting the 3 various names that this AV prefix is known by isn't enough to help people match it up to a plate?

I honestly thought, by elaborating more on smitty's post, using the AV/BV prefix stamped in the body and finding that number on one of the plates would have been enough to help people along....But instead it appears like I have confused people by saying it could be known by 3 various names...

What more can one do?

Last edited:

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
So putting the 3 various names that this AV prefix is known by isn't enough to help people match it up to a plate?

I honestly thought, by elaborating more on smitty's post, using the AV/BV prefix stamped in the body and finding that number on one of the plates would have been enough to help people along....But instead it appears like I have confused people by saying it could be known by 3 various names...

What more can one do?
You were speaking 3 different languages at the same time. ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In old cars, I think it's safe to say that if the various numbers stamped on the body and on various plates dotted around the car don't correspond in an appropriate way, then something may not be correct with that vehicle. It could be that the vehicle was stolen and rebirthed or it can be an owner was trying to represent his vehicle as something it is not and thus make more dollars when sold on.

And by correspond, I don't mean match, i mean that in some cases otehr docs or the manufacturer may needs to be consulted since chassis number and vehicle (body?) numbers may be different in teh normal case. As such the manufacture may know if these parts were paired together at the factory (and thus genuine). Guess that may go back to when chassis and bodies were diffrent components which were married at the factory?

At least with modern (unibody) cars and the 17 digit VIN, things are much more clear. The VIN is usually stamped at the drivers floor, bottom left of the windscreen and on a sticky anti forge lable stuck somewhere (passenger b pillar or under boot carpet are common places). And the metal build plate in the engine bay also contains the VIN. In these modern vehicles, bodyies are single pies that is married to the driveline at the factory, hense whey the manufacturer needs to be consolted if one wants to check whether the current engine corresponds with what was installed at the factory.

Vehicles with 17 digit VIN's are much easier to check their authenticity that those old 70 and earlier rust buckets. It's a much more consistant numbering scheme than days gone by but for original engines, other things must be checked (1st rego papers, manufacturers records, etc) :p

At some stage, even VIN's will go by the wayside and it will all be done via laser etched QR codes :eek: