Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail Shaft Diff Flange

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The guy who built my diff, had to cut the m80 pinion down (l think thats the right word part name?), to be able to bolt the vt tailshft (4 bolt flange to it).
yes, the extra spigot after the threaded section that supports the rubber doughnut.

Reactions: Lex

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@Immortality and @Lex thanks for the detail - I really appreciate the effort. It now makes sense - if only the manual showed it that way there would be much less confusion. I will check the measurements today.

It is never as easy as it is made out to be though its it? I'm not all that keen on cutting the pinion to run the VT flange as that is a pretty permanent solution. I will look at it in the light of day and come up with a cunning plan.

On a positive note I commenced the rebuild last night - got the ring gear installed and stripped the diff bearing adjusters stripped down less the bearing cup as I have to make up the "special tool" (a plate) to sit the bearing puller on.

I also chatted to an old army mate who is a mechanic about where I could get some gear marking compound as I was having no luck being able to purchase any. the best I could come up with was Permatex Prussian Blue. He told me that the gear marking compound is not readily available and advised against using the Prussian Blue as it was difficult to read.

He mixes the oxide used in concrete with a tiny bit of oil and paints it on the ring gear - claims it works as good as, if not better than the stuff imported from the US. I have some seaweed green oxide from a tiling job I did years ago in the container up the back. Never ever thought I would find a use for it - I mean how often do you need to do a repair to a tiling job where they used seaweed green grout? Not sure why I ever kept it - but glad I did now.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can confirm the marking blue doesn't work. Same issue with struggling to find the yellow marking compound. I ended up finding some on that Jungle website along with the shims I needed.