Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tail shaft

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I want to rebuild a prop shaft for a 6 cylinder 5 speed vh commodore I have a shaft from a vc 6 cylinder aussie here with a good centre bearing in it and a couple of unis. Will it fit the vh? The vh is 100k's away Id prefer to go there with the shaft and swap it but for some reason I think its not going to fit. Does anyone know if the shafts are the same.
The 5 speed is the GM 5 speed that came with the 2.85.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Probably not especially since no idea which 5 speed is in it....might want to measure what is in it & compare slip yokes.

Some g/box conversions just needed slip yoke change whilst most would need front half changed & keep original rear half.

example v6 eng/t5 in vh with 6cyl diff...vn-vr front half matched to rear vh 6cyl salisbury

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
5 speed is slightly longer gearbox than the 4 speed gearbox....So you will have to swap the front section...

Unis and C.V's Be cautious as the larger piece in the centre of the tailshaft is actually known as a C.V, which is the piece that actually wears out...That's the piece with the 6 allen key headed bolts holding it together...The centre bearing doesn't wear out as often....So it is an easy mistake people make, when it comes to ordering that piece.

There are 2 different diametre unis and C.V's....The uni's should be the same, along with the C.V's....It would be wise to get the diametre measurement of the C.V as there are 2 different measurements...One is around the 100MM mark and the 2nd is in the 90MM range...(Sorry can't remember exact measurements and can't be bothered at the moment getting them....So that's another thing to be wary of

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Probably not especially since no idea which 5 speed is in it....might want to measure what is in it & compare slip yokes.

Some g/box conversions just needed slip yoke change whilst most would need front half changed & keep original rear half.

example v6 eng/t5 in vh with 6cyl diff...vn-vr front half matched to rear vh 6cyl salisbury

I went searching through a few early commodore manuals I have here and couldn't find which 5 speed was available with VH's....Bugger....Found both 4 speeds available but not the code for the 5 speed...:(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Was there a factory 5 speed in VH?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Was there a factory 5 speed in VH?

Yup.....It was shite...Gearing was up the creek inbetween 1st and 2nd and the box itself was weak a pee

Don't quote me but I think it was designed for the 4 banger but used behind the 6 pot as well

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I know vk model had those alloy jap boxes that were junk....didn't know vh had 5 speed from factory although didn't really see or notice 6cyl manuals preferred auto 6cyl during my long roof early girl phase..

Celica 5spd kits were available then 5 speed supra boxes became common conversion...fairly sure those were just slip yoke change but by then I was out of 6cyls after blew up everything from flywheel to diff multiple times in gtr torrie

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know vk model had those alloy jap boxes that were junk....didn't know vh had 5 speed from factory although didn't really see or notice 6cyl manuals preferred auto 6cyl during my long roof early girl phase..

Celica 5spd kits were available then 5 speed supra boxes became common conversion...fairly sure those were just slip yoke change but by then I was out of 6cyls after blew up everything from flywheel to diff multiple times in gtr torrie

I honestly thought they came out in the VC...Going back 15 years ago (give or take), I bought a VC that had a blue 6 and and 5 speed fitted....The tin plate that covers the shifter hole looked like it had the original rivets in it, when I removed it to put into another VC...It wasn't until I checked into a Max Ellery manual I have here that there was a mention of it being available in the VH first.

I do have a Gregories 6 cyl VC manual here and there was no mention of a 5 speed in that....I also have a VH Gregories manual, but unfortunately that's for a V8 and I have no VK specific manuals....So I have just quoted from the Max Ellery manual....

The Supra swap, with the tailshaft, you have to swap the slip yoke and also have the tailshaft shortened 25MM, from memory, with the front portion....I only found that out 2 ish years ago, as a result of doing 3 C.V's in 4 years....Hardie Spicer noticed the slip yoke had been hard against rear extension housing of the gearbox, hence them needing to shorten the tailshaft, amongst a few other issues the tailshaft had at the time....

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My Max Ellery's manual covers VB-VK, V6 and V8. They mention that the Borg Warner 5 speed manual transmission may be fitted to VH and VK series as it was an optional extra on these models at the time of manufacture.