Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tail shaft

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
Hi there, i have a vr sedan with irs and also a vs solid axle donor car. Are the tailshafts interchangable? Also i have read some other posts about changing these and it is mentioned to mark the spline? Any tricks or tips on how to remove one and put another one in would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
I think from memory that they are mounted different under the car. You would be able to do it but what it will cost you will be more than the car is worth.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm not 100% sure if they are exactly the same - but fairly sure they are. When removing plug the rear of the trans to stop oil escaping....mark the whole tailshaft wherever it separates with a centre-punch so it goes back exactly the same and do this before removing or use quickdrying paint. try to make sure the centrebearing goes back to the exact same position and watch for any shims. Take your time and plenty of measurements!
Good Luck.

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
Thanks for that, but the replys are 50/50 yes/no. any one know for sure as i need to know before i start pulling stuff apart, cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you have a donor car, pull the tail shaft out and then lay underneath the VR with the tail shaft and see if it all lines up.