Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft Centre Bearing Leak?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The heads get knocked around. Not had them come loose.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Damn, I don't want to know where you used to drive....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The bolts that hold the tailshaft together at the C.V are about 4" long, with an allen key head...There are 6 in total....I don't think they are something standard at your local bolt shop.

Where the tailshaft bolts to the diff....Pretty sure at the VK onwards, they changed to a nut and bolt set up.....Never heard of them flogging out, unless they weren't done up tight at some stage.....That being the case, it is possible it'd flog out the diff flange too....

If the heads of the diff flange bolts were to get knocked around, you'd be doing some serious off roading.....You'd probably end up bending tailshafts too because the uni flange pretty much covers these bolts for knocks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine were pretty smacked around when I pulled the shaft. I thought it was normal, apparently not. I had to grind a bolt or two to make it fit as bolt shop bolts had a larger head on them than factory. IIRC there might be two that don't hit but two which do?
It's actually quite common for bolts at the bolt shop to have a 1mm larger head than factory car bolts.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Automotive bolts tend to have different heads on them than industrial fasteners. A lot of automotive fasteners also have the cast in washer under the hex head which you don't see on standard industrial fasteners. It's an automotive thing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Annoying that the automotive bolts can't be bought, well not that I have found anyway. Its not so hard to shorten bolts but when the heads are larger or have a washer head, or captive washer then that becomes pretty hard to match.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
I don't see how those bolts could get flogged unless someone has stuffed them trying to remove them. Those bastards are tight so I don't see them coming loose, they also use a steel locknut from the factory to prevent them working loose.
I pulled a diff out of a vx the other day and the last axle bolt stripped(the Allen key bit)so it was weld a 17mm socket on it and got it,but I second your motion they where all tight with a bit extra!!
export1655286257802.jpg