Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft Removal - Yip i've searched!

SEdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon Manual
Hi all,

Have read through the wealth of info on the prop shaft removal, I just have a couple of quick ones to confirm.

Vehicle is a VS Wagon, Manual.

Need to replace the rear seal on the g/box - allegedly just 4 bolt removal from the diff, then the bearing hanger and voila, she's out - is that right?

Also, will I need to undo the exhaust anywhere? Some threads say on VN/VP you dont but on VS you do, just want to know what I'm in for tonight.

Have plenty of DIY mechanical experience, but have only done boxes and seals on FWD cars, this is my first shot at RWD.

tl;dr I know how to replace the seal, just want clarification on removing the tailshaft.

Gracias.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Shouldn't have to drop the exhaust, I've had the tailshaft out on my sedan and its been fine, wagon may be a little different.

4 bolts in the diff - until the nut only, the bolt head rests in a lip locking the bolthead in place.
2 bolts fir centre bearing - take note where the spacers/washers are before completely removing the bolts.
Tailshaft should slide out

SEdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon Manual
Shouldn't have to drop the exhaust, I've had the tailshaft out on my sedan and its been fine, wagon may be a little different.

4 bolts in the diff - until the nut only, the bolt head rests in a lip locking the bolthead in place.
2 bolts fir centre bearing - take note where the spacers/washers are before completely removing the bolts.
Tailshaft should slide out

Legend.

(Y)

There isn't much of a pictorial 'how to' I could find, so I might document it along the way for future use.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
At worst you will have to take off the exhaust rubbers off so your exhaust can hang down a bit (use something to support it - DO NOT let it hang down freely) so it's easier to slide out your tail shaft. That's what they had to do when I had mine replaced, mine is a VR SS with IRS so is a different set up to a wagon, but just something to keep in mind

SEdan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon Manual
Just as an update on this, for future readers, this is possibly the easiest thing I've done.

Didn't take photos as lighting wasnt the best, but 4 bolts on the diff, 2 on the bearing hanger and 4 on the shroud under the gearbox seal. Took 15 minutes max to get the tailshaft completely out (no need to remove the exhaust either), and another 5 mins to get the gearbox seal out.

Getting the new one in was a little more fun though...

Interference fit sucks!

However all done and no more leaky gearbox. Repco stocked the seal, and it was $6.50. For the record the seal for the T5 on a VS at Repco is part number: 97123.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
another tip if it's the same as a vl/vn/vp is to have the park brake off (and front wheels chocked), when on the cables run past the center bearing bracket on earlier commies and hinder easy removal.