Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft replacement

The Recidivist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 Executive Wagon
From what I can gather the centre bearing on a VX tailshaft is extremely hard, if not impossible, to remove/replace and the universals cannot be repaired as they are 'staked'.

So, my questions are:

(1) Will the tailshaft of a VT automatic wagon fit straight into a VX series 2 automatic wagon without any mucking around?
(2) Is the later VX tailshaft any better than the earlier VT tailshaft - or are they basically the same?

Thanks

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
1) In short, no. The VT has a different yoke to the VX series 2. Unless of course your VXII has a BW78 for some reason but they changed the suspension/diff setup at VXII. The VX series 1 is the same as the VT.
2) Any better? Opinions are varied. Some prefer the non "rubber donut" type in the VT, some prefer the VX2 style.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Centre bearings are easy to replace. The shafts just come apart in the centre if you pull them hard enough in a press. Any driveshaft workshop should be able to do it for pretty cheap.

And the joints can be replaced by anyone with the right tooling

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Last edited:

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
I have sold my car. When I had my car my center bearing was also bad. Went to one shop and he declined that the center bearing cannot be replaced. Went to another he took a hammer and hammered the center bearing piece out. He also hammered the u joints out and put new ones in. Took 30 minutes and problem solved.