Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tailshaft

vscommodore25

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore 3.8L v6
Hey guys took tailshaft out after some bad thumping under the car worst when accelerating. Suspecting it was a centre bearing issue well that was indeed stuffed, anyhow replaced that also replaced both unis, put back on the car and the thumping continues... am now thinking it could be the cv joint needing replacing. This car has done over 500,000 km also my first car so even though I would love to just set it on fire it would break my heart as I love the old girl and understand it will have its issues. Sorry for the long post my question is could anything else be causing this thumping apart from the cv joint?

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
You would’ve had the CV joint out to do the bearing so should’ve been able to spot a problem when apart but yes, it could be that. The other two possibilities are the flex coupling on the gearbox flange or not putting the driveshaft back together to its original alignment. The front and rear shafts need to be match marked before pulling apart so they go back to their original balance alignment.

The other possibility is that it’s not the tailshaft at all.

Reactions: Lex