Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Takata Airbag Safety Recall (global)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Nitro_X, Jul 24, 2017.

1. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Proberly not

2. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    That's the million dollar question at the moment, I am currently waiting for the airbag to arrive for the missus Corolla.

That was the issue last year when I first became aware of it.
    Replacement airbags weren't available till towards the end of the last quarter of the year.....October onwards from memory

VS_Pete and VS 5.0 like this.
  3. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    The radio news said hot and humid areas, along with age of car will be first in line for replacement airbags as they come in....How they wish to define the areas wasn't mentioned, but one would assume the Top end of this country would be first in line, along with the older cars, with the effected airbags.

It was also reported, the replacements should be completed by 2020, which is a long way off, but there are millions of replacements that need to be manufacturered and distributed

4. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I think that listed is from Sept last year, what shits me about all this is yesterday they were saying Holden is affected and car owners should check to see if their vehicle is on the list and to contact your dealer. Well what's the point if the list is 5 months old? You should have already done it but to now say Holden is affected and then leave everyone that owns a Holden hanging cause of an outdated list is pretty crap, I know they will update it but in all seriousness give us an updated list to go with the warnings!

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    The problem is that certain manufacturers have not been playing ball in terms of the voluntary recall, hence the compulsory recall.

It follows that certain manufacturers now have to actually address the issue and compile data on what vehicles are impacted.

While I haven't seen or heard anything to confirm, I expect that those manfacturers have been given 60 days to provide all data required. This directive would have been given prior to the public announcement.

That results in the list being updated near the end of April, in the spirit of the ACCC announcement but not necessarily meeting the public's expectations.

6. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    My daughter's 2007 Subaru Impreza had a replacement airbag fitted middle of last year or there abouts, she received another recall notice last week saying they need to see the car again as some of the new replacement airbags may have been fitted incorrectly, I read an article in the newspaper that said that some bags had been fitted back the front by mistake and they need to re-check the ones they have done. Recall arrived via registered post direct from Subaru head office not the dealer who fitted the replacement bag. Makes you wonder how that could happen.

7. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I hear what your saying but to quote one part of a statement put out yesterday
    "Manufacturers Ford, Holden and Volkswagen are among the 25 carmakers expected to urgently replace the airbags."
    They really pushed the urgency of the situation yesterday but how can you call it urgent and then have up to 2 months wait for an updated list to see if you have a car fitted with these things then I guess you will have more waiting involved until replacements are available? I understand they still need to figure out exactly what cars are affected but the way they have gone about it has only caused panic amongst some in the community. I think the government has also put a deadline of 2020 for this to be sorted so what does "urgent" actually mean?

8. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    A couple of years ago when I took my Honda in for a service just after I bought it they said it was one of the vehicles recalled to replace the airbags and from what they told me when I picked it up they did replace the airbags. Last year when I took it in for another service they said they needed to change the airbags, I told them they did it the previous service and the guy said they had to change them again. I'm curious to see if I get told they need replacing again after all this.

9. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    As soon as reasonably possible.....with the emphasis on reasonably.....and reasonably meaning different things to consumers, regulators and manufacturers.

At the end of the day, if Takata simply doesn't have the replacement stock, there is not a lot that the vehcle manfacturers can do. They can't just shazam the bags out of thin air.

How much power does an Australian Government agency have over a foreign manufacturer to enforce any self determined timeframe (2020) for completion of the recall program anyway ?

Interesting times ahead.

10. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    The list of affected cars includes:

Holden Astra (MY2005 — 2009)

Opel Astra (MY2012 — 2013)

Holden Astra-J (MY2014 — 2017)

Holden Trax (MY2013 — 2018)

Holden Barina (MY2012 — 2018)

Holden Cruze (MY2010 — 2016)

Holden Cascada (MY2015 — 2017)

Opel Cascada (MY2014)

11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
  12. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I guess my point is they need to chose their words a bit more carefully, this isn't something that would have been thrown on their desk first thing in the morning. This would have been known to those for a few days so don't go blazing out the urgency theme when consumers can't actually do much at the moment.

13. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Agree.....I'm not trying to defend the process or those making the decisions.

With the creation of a sense of urgency, they are now being seen to be doing something, as ineffectual as that may actually be.

14. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
  15. maginoodle

maginoodle Member

Members Ride:
    vy series2 ss crewman
    Just got my recall done today and it proved why I dislike dealerships- they decided to hook my auxiliary socket back up incorrectly causing the fuse in my gps to blow and also burn out my usb adaptator. Then when I didn’t drive out straight away because of this the mechanic then claimed my install was dodgy and that caused it. They then put the incorrect fuse into my gps(works but isn’t the correct one) just to get me out of their driveway, not happy jan

16. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Hallelujah, The NZ Government (the new Labour Government) has issued a mandatory recall today effecting about 50,000 vehicles.

I'm glad we had a change of government as the new Labour Government is taking some real steps to tackle big issues where as the previous NAtional government where very much hands off and letting capitalist markets dictate how things went.

17. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Nitro_X, Dayvo and VS_Pete like this.
  18. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Rechecked our 3 all good
    thanks for the new link

Nitro_X likes this.
  19. Nitro_X

Nitro_X Numbskull

Members Ride:
    2007 VE SV6
    Nice work fella's.
    Just rechecked my VE sedan via VIN number on Holden's website (scroll down to the bottom of page)
    All GOOD....yay! :)
    And decided to update my contact info with Holden for any future possible recall issue notifications

https://www.holden.com.au/owning/airbag-recall

The following link may also be helpful for anyone checking other manufacturer vehicles of family and friends
    (Active recalls last updated 1 August 2018):

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list

VS_Pete likes this.