Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Takata airbag vehicle buy back

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Manufacturers have begun buying back vehicles fitted with takata airbags which have been deemed uneconomical to replace. Owners have been offered market value for their cars and they really have no choice but to take what they are given as their cars are deemed to be stat writeoffs due to the airbags.

Interestingly, they are popping up for sale at pickles auctions. Not able to be used on the road ever again, but would make a great beater to drive around a farm/property.
As an example, here is a list of perfectly good Honda crv's being sold for scrap value.
https://www.pickles.com.au/damaged-...oductType.Vehicles._.Year.range(1998..2000).)

So far I have heard of Honda, Toyota, BMW and Audi buying back cars from owners. Most are from around 1998-2001. Looks like the auctions are going to be full of these in the coming months.
I'm really glad there are no Commodores involved in this.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Be interesting to see how much they go for. It would be possible for me to get to Gateshead for the start of the auction, but my interest level is not that high. Not even useful for spare parts because there will be none left needing spare parts.
Good point about a farm buggy, a role that the old Suzuki Sierra ute filled.

Something I am curious about, if the airbag was removed, would the car be roadworthy, and be allowed to continue be driven on the roads. It would be no worse than driving a car that had no airbag fitted when new.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Be interesting to see how much they go for. It would be possible for me to get to Gateshead for the start of the auction, but my interest level is not that high. Not even useful for spare parts because there will be none left needing spare parts.
Good point about a farm buggy, a role that the old Suzuki Sierra ute filled.

Something I am curious about, if the airbag was removed, would the car be roadworthy, and be allowed to continue be driven on the roads. It would be no worse than driving a car that had no airbag fitted when new.

If the car came from factory with airbag , and was part of the road worthy certification I’d imagine it would be deemed unroadworthy and ordered off the road

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Agree.
But in the Un-united States of Australia, where road rules and vehicles registration are uniform across the country, (just interpreted differently with multiple amendments and addendums by the individual States), it could be OK.
NSW has banned 'airbag' cars from re-registration. A write-off in NSW is that … gone, finished.
It appears that Victoria can still re-birth write-off, as per a thread here. Victoria deems a hail dented car as unroadworthy.
Qld only requires a roadworthy when the car is sold.
(If any of the above statements are wrong, I am happy to be corrected.)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So is Honda refusing to replace the air bags in these cars and saying it's too expensive for them?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
HONDA is NOT replacing airbags but is buying back your vehicle at market value, and I believe crushing it. Well done HONDA.
I'm finding it VERY hard to understand after all these years of warnings we still have these very dangerous vehicles on our roads.
What is WRONG with people?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes I get that Gossie, I'm just curious if the owners are given the option of a new air bag or buy back or is the buy back compulsory?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
HONDA is NOT replacing airbags but is buying back your vehicle at market value, and I believe crushing it. Well done HONDA.

They aren't crushing them, they are removing the airbags and then auctioning them off as stat writeoffs at Pickles as per the link.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Yes I get that Gossie, I'm just curious if the owners are given the option of a new air bag or buy back or is the buy back compulsory?
They aren't giving the option of new airbags as they have deemed it uneconomical to develop and engineer new airbags for these cars.