Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Take off / Remove Towbar - Urgent!

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
I have a Vn wagon and I just want to remove the towbar component itself which is helt in by 2 bolts as so if later I wanted to replace it, I can throw the length of tow-bar back in, fit it to the holes, by eye, and then throw the 2 bolts in.
HOWEVER
I cannot seem to get them undone, they're so rusted they appear as though they have melded together, I've searched a fair bit on this and have tried a fair bit, I drenched the ####ers in WD 40, over night and then again the next day and gave it a crack with the socket, but after 10 mins of hard trying no avail.
Any suggestions!?
PLEASE

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
had a similar problem with exhaust studs.

Found the best way to do it was hit it with a blast from a gas blowtorch and heat the bastard up.
Have you ruined the heads of the bolts at all? Could also try with a big breaker bar if you have one or can get hold of one

MrNutter

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX wagon
First off make sure your turning the bolts the right direction (counter clockwise) rather than trying to tighten them. We all have our sleepy moments, well, I do anyway. About 3ft of a steel pipe that you can put over the handle of your ratchet or spanner should do the trick. Give you a heap extra leverage. If that doesn't work give the ends of the bolts a firm but gentle tap with a hammer taking care not to damage the threads. That might help to knock them loose a little. If none of that works them use the steel pipe & give it a good belting with a decent hammer in the same direction as your pulling on the bar.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
If you can't get a nut/bolt undone, sometimes turning it the other way ie: tightening it, can crack it.

But I'd go with the pipe on the ratchet for leverage.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get some some of that bolt penetration spray that helps to get them off, then hit it with some pipe over ratchet.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
try it on a cold morning, if that doesn't work take to an exhaust place they'll rip it off fast and cheap.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
had a similar problem with exhaust studs.

Found the best way to do it was hit it with a blast from a gas blowtorch and heat the bastard up.
Have you ruined the heads of the bolts at all? Could also try with a big breaker bar if you have one or can get hold of one

This is how we got the studs out of my brothers datto 720 exhaust manifold. soaked them in kerosene and then gave them a good blast with a gas torch and they came out with a pair of pliers, no trouble at all. They were rusted to the point they would just crumble if you gripped them too hard.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If you have access to one a rattle gun could help break them loose

sawychri06

Reaction score
Members Ride
d22 navara
NOTE

try your hardest not to use a extension bar on ur ratchet, push or pull hard enough and u will bust ur ratchet, also other products u can use are CRC or loctite freeze spray. you can use heat buy yourself a propane torch and heat the nuts then give it a shot, if for some unknow reason the person or persons before used loctite then the heat will melt that and it will remove them, or give a rattle gun a crack

and when u finally have the nuts off put some anti seize on the thread
i put it on most things on my cars and trust me you will thank yourself later when you take it off again. will save u alot of sweat and swearing
i am a fitter so stripping parts down is my job just some of my tricks for getting things apart