Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Takes a lot of cranking to start VT v6. 1998

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Hey fellas,
My son has a VT v6. Manual-extractors-2.5" exhaust. new coil packs-plugs-leads.270k's
Battery is good.
Goes BLOODY quick!!
Runs well,no misses.
No fault codes showing.

BUT- It takes 3-4 seconds of cranking before it starts. Hot or cold. He "primes" the pump before starting. Tried pushing the key in fairly hard, when starting.
Still the same.
Your thoughts on this?

Thanks!! :)

Connors old man.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Probably just an old starter moving slower than usual.

D

devilly

mine got slower and harder to start when the bcm and ecu where on there way out.check wiring to starter motor and check wiring to alternator and also check earth wiring from battery.disconnect battery, check the nuts are tight, there's no melting on the wires,and you cant pull the wires out of the connectors.i always start with whats the cheapest and then move up the list on ideas :) :) start relay swap with another one and see if it makes a difference.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Could also be a loss of fuel pressure due to a minute air leak (sealed systems), charcoal canister/purge solenoid issue or tired pump.

I had the same thing with my VS, but when I put the blower on I replaced the pump (gasket as well), reg and most of the lines - problem went away.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if you start car, let it idle for 30 seconds then switch off
does it start immediately or still 3-4 seconds cranking
1st thing in morning if you turn to reds, wait 30 seconds, turn off, repeat immediately,
then start, does it start straight away or still 3-4 seconds
how is it maintained
serviced religiously every 10k with quality parts, or cheapest parts available

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
If you have a spare key, just give it a try..
Sometimes the key fob connection is not great and can lead to excessive cranking. This solved excessive cranking in a friend's VS.

amg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Fuel filter. Maybe sometime in the recent past yer sprog put in some crap fuel that blocked the filter.

I was changing the diff oil the other day and while I was under there checked the fuel lines, charcoal canister and changed the fuel filter. The car now starts on the first crank stroke.

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Thanks fellas!!
I"ll wait till he gets out of bed - and check to see if he's done the fuel filter since he's had it.
It turns over quite well- the battery sounds good. I'll check the restart after 30 seconds too. Forgot to check that.
I'll get back to ya'all!
Thanks
Mark

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It won't be the keyfob/security, if it was it wouldn't crank (that's how it works in a VT).

Check all the piping around the intake for cracked or perished hoses (or has something fallen off over time)
Pull a small vac hose off the manifold somewhere and spray some carby cleaner in (idea here is to get it into the manifold) quickly put the hose back where it went and try to start. Does it fire up quicker, start and stop, take the same amount of time cranking?
Don't do this on a stinking hot engine.

No eye deer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
If its run for a few minutes, switched off and restarted- it starts quick. Fuel filter is new. Fuel ATM is 98 Ron.