Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes that’s true. I heard recently cars are free in March. You may want to check it out.
Sure are free for anyone from interstate.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Me and the Mrs are just winding up a two week trip in Tassie, returning back to Melbourne tomorrow night. We took the Coromal Silhouette 391 campervan hitched to the VF Calais Wagon. Just under $1500 for overnight sailings with cabin, and the car was free. We will have spent around $5,000 all up, by the time we get home on Thursday morning. We stayed at various parks ranging from $27 to $40 per night.
We enjoyed home cooking and eating out.
The car pulled the campervan weighing about 1600kgs no problem. We will have covered around 2,500ks by the time we get home in South West Victoria. This is the tenth time we've taken a car and caravan for two weeks at a time over the last twenty years to Tassie. The weather has been kind depending on how you look at it, although quite cold during nights and some days, it has been fairly sunny most of the time with just a few showers here and there.
Yes, there's nothing like being able to enjoy the roads of Tassie in your Commodore. With hardly any road blocks, peak hour traffic not really that bad by comparison and not such a long distance from one beautiful place to another, what more could you want!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yeah next time i go to Tassie going to be hard choosing what to drive normally I hire a Commodore. Now whadda ya do - not gonna drive the SS all the way from QLD!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
yeah next time i go to Tassie going to be hard choosing what to drive normally I hire a Commodore. Now whadda ya do - not gonna drive the SS all the way from QLD!
A tricky one. You might have to forget about the car and do what we did the last time we came here about 16 months ago. We flew to Hobart, stayed in an Air bnb in West Hobart, walked into town everyday and got the bus! On a more serious note though, hire cars are at a premium in Tassie at the moment because the hire company's sold off all their cars during covid lock down. You might be lucky and get a Hyundai Getz for $300 a day!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Why wouldn't you?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A tricky one. You might have to forget about the car and do what we did the last time we came here about 16 months ago. We flew to Hobart, stayed in an Air bnb in West Hobart, walked into town everyday and got the bus! On a more serious note though, hire cars are at a premium in Tassie at the moment because the hire company's sold off all their cars during covid lock down. You might be lucky and get a Hyundai Getz for $300 a day!
Yeah it's a real problem, and at the moment there are no solutions in the short to medium term.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Free car's for spirit of Tasmania deal ended couple of weeks ago, I suspect they will do something again soon.
Tourism Tas is asking for it, but there are 100s and 100s of bookings already, so for the State Gov to pump a few more Mill into that subsidy again is unlikely to happen any time soon, if at all.