Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taking off front of ecotec

bbpirate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS L98
Hi i recently started getting a rattling noise from the front of my engine, and have been told its either a timing chain problem or counter balance shaft bearing wear problem.
The only way im going to find out is if i take off the front of my engine which is what im curous about.
Am i able to take of the front of the engine whilst it just sits in my car, obviously draing the water and oil.
Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, you can definitely do it with the engine in the car.

Most likely be the timing chain tensioner as it's a common ecotec problem. If it was the balance shaft the noise would at the top of the motor and it's normally the rear balance shaft bearing that causes issues.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If you do, push (lever) the timing cover hard down onto the sump gasket to compress it while you tighten the timing cover bolts or you will get a sump gasket leak. You might get one anyway.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive seen some gakset kits have the sump and timing cover gasket all in one. You want them seperate, so check this before buying. Use some RTV sealant on the joint where the timing cover meets the sump.