Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

taking out the spool :(

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
All good with a full spool, until you launch it hard snap an axle and put it into a wall at 100+mph cause one wheel is still driving hard. Give me a decent LSD any-day for me...

QldKev

Edd

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
So you're saying because I lost it more than 2 times accidentally, I was hooning? No I wasn't, take a spooled car out in the wet and see how easy it is to control for your first time.

i dont think you could call it an accident, maybe if it was due to bald tyre's than it would make more sense. I took my mates mini spooled EL out for a first time in the wet and got loose because was trying too, not by accident, give it a big squirt and she'll step out, that was enough to tell me to keep traction, all fine from then. you cant blame the spool, too much throttle or poor handling skills, simple, drive to the conditions. simply blaming the spool for poor driving is kinda pathetic.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All good with a full spool, until you launch it hard snap an axle and put it into a wall at 100+mph cause one wheel is still driving hard. Give me a decent LSD any-day for me...

QldKev

total BS. your gonna need serious power to do that sort of damage. somewhere in the region of 300kw and do multiple clutch drops etc. just as VN Luke

I have a tightened LSD in the VN and with crap tyres on it is like having a spool in the rear. fit decent tyres and it drives out of corners real well but be well aware because when it does loose traction is goes quick. now a stuffed LSD is probably more dangerous because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't single spin which means it's a total lottery whether you go forward or sideways. at least with a spool you know how it's going to behave every single time you plant boot. There ain't nothing wrong with using the throttle to steer the car :D

if i didn't have to put the car through a inspection (WOF) every 6 months i'd most certainly have a spool

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i dont think you could call it an accident, maybe if it was due to bald tyre's than it would make more sense. I took my mates mini spooled EL out for a first time in the wet and got loose because was trying too, not by accident, give it a big squirt and she'll step out, that was enough to tell me to keep traction, all fine from then. you cant blame the spool, too much throttle or poor handling skills, simple, drive to the conditions. simply blaming the spool for poor driving is kinda pathetic.

Yes bald tyres did contribute to me losing control, and no they wern't from me, they were like that when I purchased the car, and yeah I know I'm irresponsible and should be sent to hell for driving an unroadworthy car blah blah..

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Shut up you ########, yeah blame the tires, blame the spool, but not yourself. You are a tool you wanna know why? You bought a car without asking questions about it, other wise you'd know it had a spool, and bald tires, something funny about all this is that you bought a car that has probably been thrashed.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
total BS. your gonna need serious power to do that sort of damage. somewhere in the region of 300kw and do multiple clutch drops etc. just as VN Luke

I have a tightened LSD in the VN and with crap tyres on it is like having a spool in the rear. fit decent tyres and it drives out of corners real well but be well aware because when it does loose traction is goes quick. now a stuffed LSD is probably more dangerous because sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't single spin which means it's a total lottery whether you go forward or sideways. at least with a spool you know how it's going to behave every single time you plant boot. There ain't nothing wrong with using the throttle to steer the car :D

if i didn't have to put the car through a inspection (WOF) every 6 months i'd most certainly have a spool

Since my car does have over 300kw, I do give a ****. I also still have the original diff in it and the car has 125,000km on it and still going strong.

Have a look at the drags, there are plenty of commodores that run 400+rwkw on standard LSD and aftermarket LSD diffs without looking at spools. A lot will also tell you they get a better pass with a decent LSD than with a spool. Spools do work great in certain cars, and on the burnout pad.

Any idiot can abuse their car and blow diffs and axles; you don't need decent power for that.

Why is it always the 6cyl and turbo 4cyls that have spools and the V8s prefer a LSD?

On the road if you use a spool you are a tool...

QldKev

Last edited:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Since my car does have over 300kw, I do give a ****. I also still have the original diff in it and the car has 125,000km on it and still going strong.

Have a look at the drags, there are plenty of commodores that run 400+rwkw on standard LSD and aftermarket LSD diffs without looking at spools. A lot will also tell you they get a better pass with a decent LSD than with a spool. Spools do work great in certain cars, and on the burnout pad.

Any idiot can abuse their car and blow diffs and axles; you don't need decent power for that.

Why is it always the 6cyl and turbo 4cyls that have spools and the V8s prefer a LSD?

On the road if you use a spool you are a tool...

QldKev

That line is actually 'dont be a fool, get a spool' :p

Why do top fuelers use spools? If an LSD is just as good? Likewise other racing categories

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Shut up you ########, yeah blame the tires, blame the spool, but not yourself. You are a tool you wanna know why? You bought a car without asking questions about it, other wise you'd know it had a spool, and bald tires, something funny about all this is that you bought a car that has probably been thrashed.

Yes well we were all young and stupid once, come to think about it I'm still young and stupid but at least I'm learning, no actually the car was purchased off an old guy, modified then sold to me, nah mate why would you think that car had been thrashed? Did the spool give that away genius?

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
That line is actually 'dont be a fool, get a spool' :p

Why do top fuelers use spools? If an LSD is just as good? Likewise other racing categories

A spool is a stronger setup; so for top end hp drag cars they need all the strength they can get and they only get driven under load straight. Same if you want a dedicated drift machine, a spool rocks. Both here are talking strictly drag or track cars.

Here we are talking street-able commodores. I agree an aftermarket clutch LSD is heaps better than the cone setup we have from factory in our Commodores.

Don’t forget as you turn the outer side tyre needs to travel a further distance; hence with a spool the tyre actually needs to slip and you get that jerking from it. Not very good for traction during a heavy turn, and chews out your tyres. This forced loss of traction is the reason you loose it in the wet, and even in the dry a spool is not very good for early cornering. A spool can get the best power down as you exit the corner.

Also don't forget a decent LSD that has been setup correctly will be locked under heavy load, delivering power to both wheels the same as a spool.

Everyone I know that has used a minispool on the road has removed it within a year.

QldKev

Last edited:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy