Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taking The Back Speakers Out

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
I've got a VS commodore and a pair of 6x9's that are awaiting an installation. So all l needed to do was take out the back speakers, it turned out this wasn't as easy as it sounded. So l'm back to step 1 with no where to go. Does anyone know how l take out the back speakers? Thanks.

V

vlturbo

I think you have to remove the seats then the rear parcel shelf my cousin done this and then made a custom shelf out of mdf because the speakers didnt mount that well. I might be totally wrong thou.

The easiest way to find out would be to buy a manual like gregorys for your car or guy into a shop and read it if you dont want to buy it.

O

oldn64

VL Turbo is 100% correct.

There are a number of thing is understand when looking at doing this particular job.

1. rear seat must come out.
2. Factory holes are for 6 inch speaker only. Do not cut the metal shelf this is illegal and is a structural part if the car. Most common stereo places will cut the shelf. If you need to then get roady it should not pass, then again alot of roady places do not know the law either.
3. It is far better if you install the speakers on a good fabricated rear shelf then on the original.

4. Do not try and display that you have a stereo otherwsie you may find that it gets stolen.

I have done this a number of time and my VR SS wears a pair of 8" Pioneers 3 way and a setup of 8" subs on teh rear shelf, (not metal removed.

If you want pics or understanding on how to go about this then post some more info.

When making for a VR/VS you will need to make a "skirt" so that the new parcel shelf is in the same fashion as the original, ie sloping at the rear "sixth" windows.

Cheers

V

vsBerli

THIS IS HOW I REMOVED THE REAR PARCLE SHELF ON MY 1996 VS BERLINA
1. PULL OUT BACK SEAT
2. UNDO NUTS ON BOTH LH AND RH SIDE SEATS (LOCATED ON BOTTOM)
3. PULL SIDE SEATS UP THEN OUT
4. ENSURE BABY RESTRAINT (LOCATED ON CENTER, LEFT OR RIGHT OF PARCLE SHELF) IS REMOVED.
5. PULL PARCLE SHELF SECURING CLIPS OUT X3 (BY HAND SLIDING FINGERS AROUND THEM THEN PULLING TOWARDS YOU FIRMLY.
6. JIGGLE SHELF OUT AT AN ANGLE.

YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE REAR SPEAKERS ARE MOUNTED ON A SECONDARY SUPPORT WELL ABOVE THE ACTUAL PARCLE SHELF. TO MY UNDERSTANDING IF THESE SUPORTS ARE REMOVED THEY WILL NOT IN ANY WAY COMPROMISE THE CARS STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY, AS THEY ARE AN ADDITIVE PURELY FOR THE SUPPORT OF THE REAR SPEAKERS.
TO INSTALL A PAIR OF 6x9'S YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THESE SUPPORTS (TACKED ON BY SPOT WELDS) AND FABRICATE YOUR OWN EITHER OUT OF WOOD OR STEEL. FROM MY OBSERVATION I WOULD SAY YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO RE-USE THE STOCK PARCEL SHELF WITH LITTLE OR NO MODIFICATIONS FOR THIS INSTALL.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Great info but try not to type in all caps.

Use a colour other than Black or Red if you want your post to be noticed.

Cheers

Jake.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Yes listen to Jake, he is a 'Post Whore Extraordinaire' apparently... hehe

Andy

V

vsBerli

Sorry fellas. Oh well looks like i'm not in the running for that english award anymore!.....Hee Hee

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
I took the small speakers out of the back of my VR and replaced them with 6"9's.

The way I took the speakers out was this. They are actually riveted to the chassy. The only way I found to take em out was to take off the parcel shelf and hack them out with a hacksaw blade. Due to the small ammount of room you have to work with this could proove difficult. Once you have pulled the speakers out you then have to make sure the replacement speakers will fit in the gaps. Once this is achieved you can then put the parcel shelf back in and cut the holes to size leaving room for the tabs that the speakers bolt into around the edge. This should work for you.

scozz

Reaction score
I've done this in the VN and VS. It's not hard at all. I had more hassles getting the old speakers out!

You can get spacers that sit on top for the 6x9's

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Thank you vsBerli, l finally got around to doing this as my stock back speakers bottom'd out at the levels l was having my music. All l have to do now is buy an amp for my subs....

Thanks again!!!