Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taking VS Key apart

TightAs5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Yes old story but trying to get key apart to replace rubber buttons, please dont answer post if your reply will be no you need a new key because it isnt true and they can survive more than two hours without a battery and dont need reprograming.... I just want to know what glue they used to seal the buggers as:unsure: I want to take it apart without damaging the case

SlickVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
Hey mate I just swapped my buttons over yesterday! Start by removing the screws and key which will make things a lot easier, then you should be able to spread that end slightly and slowly work your way around until you almost reach the end attached to your key rings. If your lucky the glue will "crack" and the key will pop open, it took quite a bit of force to open mine so be careful. You may have to place a couple drops of superglue on the two inner sides of your key too otherwise it will just fall apart again. :)

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
you dont have to "break" open the key at all,, use a small knife and cut the old buttons out then the new ones just push in,,

SlickVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8
This is true, and probably a good idea. Although it's a lot neater if you can do it by opening your key.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
If done properly and carefully it will look close to factory where as trying to pry open the key you could scratch it,, even the instructions that come with the buttons say to cut the old buttons out. (il have to double check that but almost certain)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Where do you buy the new buttons? Holden I take it, and how much please?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
K cheers......