Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Tandem trailers?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Just wondering whats the go with towing tandem trailers? Seeing Ive never towed one I wouldnt have a clue. All I could find on the vicroads site is that all trailers with a ATM (aggregate trailer mass) of more than 750kg must have trailer brakes. My interpretation of ATM is the total weight of the trailer distributed over both the axles and car when fully loaded, which it obviously would be with a car on it.

But as I recall, when Ive been around people towing such things, I cant remember seeing any trailer brake devices (unless were hidden). And if I went to hire a trailer from the servo.etc would they have brakes fitted to them? If so that would suck because I dont have a car with any trailer brake devices.

Reason is I might have to drag yet another unregistered VN 60km home and Im not sure if it runs. If it runs then get a permit to drive it as per usual, but worst case scenario at the moment. :)

Cheers.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey mate,

There are 2 main types of "Trailer Brakes".

1st type (most common which is applicable to you), operates by having the section that connects to the tow bar act as a "brake lever". When you start braking (in the car) the trailer weight continues moving forward pushing the actual connector in which applies the breaks. Its not easy to explain, ill see if i can find a pic.

But essentially the brakes are built in to the trailer, and will work with your car.

The second major type is having brake lines running from the car itself, to activate the brakes. This is more common with trucks etc.

Short answer, you'll be fine with a trailer from the servo.

EDIT - Ive towed a VT SS full of luggage in my old VR wagon. Both cars were probably over 2T loaded, and i didnt have an issue.
That said, whenever ive had to tow, i normally wait till like midnight, and then i can take it really easy as the roads are empty. I normally dont go above 60, and slow down way in advance of lights. It also means no "standard starts" so you can save the clutch/gearbox.