Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tapping noise in engine

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
SUPERCHARGED VP COMMODORE
ok only started this morning
started the car and i usually let the car sit for a few minutes before driving and i noticed a slight tapping noise ( i dont know anything about engines ) but sounded like the lifter at the rear was tapping and not getting any oil. With a bit of acceleration the tapping noise was faster and louder. I had to go to work and under idle couldn't hear anything but driving was pretty noisy. After a few minutes it did go away . I only work five minutes MAX away and by the time i got there it was gone.

Now before any comments on oil

It is regularly serviced ( only 4500km ago ) Six months
There is oil! And good quality clean oil!
It just sounds like the one isnt pumping any oil but after a few minutes the others lubricate this one up ??????????????????????????????????????????
There is no power loss ( that i can notice but i have driven it very carefully obviousley)

Any ideas what it is so i have an idea when i go to get it looked at on Monday
Any help Thanks

Last edited:

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
no
there is the usual tap from the injectors but this is definatley in the engine
thanks anyway.

anyone had similar prob. with only one rocker being noisy

seal? not getting any oil???
i dont know

As i said there is no power loss and no smoke whatsoever coming out the back.
After 5 minutes ok sounds like normal but just the one

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
take rocker cover off and tighten all the rocker arm bolts, hope helps, if not try using Lifter Free its about 10 bux a bottle

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
my car now does that.... did oil change and it started making tapping sounds. so i did another oil change with diff brand of oil and lifter juice and it still does it.. starting to get worse now. also fuel economy has dropped.. from 450-470 a tank to 330-350 a tank.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
If it is a single hydraulic tappet bleeding down, then it will not make a noise every time the engine is left for a while as the engine stops in any one of 3 places on a 6 cylinder. It bleeds down when the valve has to be held open against valve spring pressure and then takes a while to fill with oil as they have a small hole to let the oil in. If an engine is sludged or poor quality oil is used this is more likely to happen. The lifters can wear depending on the quality of heat treatment of the wearing parts over which you have no control. You can try a Nulon additive for lifters and if it works OK otherwise they can be pulled apart individually unless you follow a regime of keeping all lifter parts in discreet containers. The valve can sometimes be turned upside down and lapped with jewllers rouge or the like if you are that desparate but simply replacing the faulty one is the best. Also look at the rocker incase this has wear. The hardest job will be locating the offender - thank your lucky stars you dont have a 24 valve engine. Holden have a time for the lifters to stop making a noise but is designed to avoid warranty claims something like 3 minutes per start.

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea i know where the offender is. He is the only noisy bastard there. So hopefully will just be the one loose rocker :bow:
will have a look tomorrow .

Thanks for all comments and let you know.

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
sounds like a noisy tappet normaly caused by not enough oil. its not really serious. try an oil filter and oil change see if that fixes it.

M

MavVP

I have a similar tapping noise but i have a small hole in my manifold that is causing it, might look there as well