Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tapping noise

Onelung

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
2012 VE, Pre start when key is set to on position their is a rapid tapping noise coming from the top of the engine when key fully turned engine won’t even attempt to start. Lights, radio, instrument panel all works. Tried a jump start pack an battery as well

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
If it's in park, shift to neutral and see if that helps.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Starter solenoid
Or faulty throttle body are the only two things I can think of that would produce such a noise.

There will be fault codes set (light isn’t always going to come on).
Get the codes and you’ll have a starting point.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Could also be the evap solenoid as ive noticed mine doing this after idling for a little while

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car has to be running for that to happen.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So the car has a tapping noise in the top of the motor and the motor isn't even running...

The OP also posted this question and then disappeared....

My diagnosis is, either not doing their school work, or smoking something they shouldn't....

Actually having the name 1 lung, smoking something they shouldn't....

Leave others to make their own decisions

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Maybe he’s working or visiting someone in hospital, or actually going through some kind of medical treatment, or just pushed for time. Let’s not get too hasty fellas, it’s not 22 hours since posted:)

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Just tested our VE SV6. Turned the ignition to the ON position and heard a 'clack' sound from under the bonnet, then another 'clack' followed by a high pitched whirrrr then another 'clack'. Tracked it down to the throttle body. Perhaps the throttle body is performing a self test?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The throttle body calibrates before and after each start and off. That is a normal sound.

As with my mention of the throttle body, If it were faulty, it could possibly be flapping open and shut rapidly.

Hesh2478

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sedan series 2
2012 VE, Pre start when key is set to on position their is a rapid tapping noise coming from the top of the engine when key fully turned engine won’t even attempt to start. Lights, radio, instrument panel all works. Tried a jump start pack an battery as well
Hi , I have the same problem, tried an auto electrician, local mechanic and the forum, no luck… then I had to send the car to a Holden dealer 130ks away on the Gold Coast..last week ..they called me today to inform me that they found problem a Faulty ECM, ( computer ) the good news was they found the problem and around $1,000 to replace, .. that was the good news, they catch is the part has to com from theUSA…and there is a possible 6 month delay on the part. ‍♂️ I don’t know if that’s what you wanted to hear…