Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tapping while driving in dash

Jeff Piha

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VXCommodore Executive
Hi, I've been reading up on tapping from central dash area but there seems to be nothing about it happening when driving - only start up. So just recently a tapping has started to occur when driving particularly when turning and accelerating. If there was a pipe like the power steering cooling pipes tapping quite fast for short periods of time on plastic in the dash near the console - that's what it would sound like. Its in the front, its not the drive shaft etc. I'm not sure of exact location but often it sounds like its in between the transmission and where the automatic gear stick is. This sound does not happen on start up or when in idle.

Any suggestions?

Also I did the diagnostics bridging the other day and it came up with10 flashes plus 1, 10 flashes plus 4 then 10 flashes plus 5. Are these meaning101, 104 and 105? cant find them in manual. There was a 73 which apparently is transmission but it drives fine - maybe it the tapping noise?

Thanks heaps.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
vx is 4 digit code so 10 flash plus 10 flash, plus 1 flash plus 2 flash = fault 12, all ok

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It will be something to do with the vacuum actuator/diverter box for the air conditioning, it's the thing that directs air to particular vents and sits behind the CD player and air con controls. Good way to test if that's the issue is that the air only comes out of one set of vents (usually the feet). I think the VT/VX gets the vacuum from somewhere on the back of the intake manifold - might tee into something else - so first thing to check would be if there are any cracks or splits in hoses in that region.