Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TAS to Townsville which would you drive?

petroleum

Reaction score
Members Ride
'89 VN Commodore
An interesting question I have been thinking about for the last fortnight and would like to see what you guys think...

I am moving to Towsville from Hobart, Tasmania in early November and I want to take some stuff with me and I wanna do it the hard way.. driving there.. Now I have 4 grand to spend on a car and its gotta be on a commodore..

What would you buy and why would it be best?

mynuvu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS SII
Dude that is a massive trip. The 4 grand will cover the fuel costs but thats about it. Only kidding, but it wont be cheap. I'd say go for a VS if you can find one in good nick. They get pretty damn good fuel consumption on the highway

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It might be a good idea to buy a ride in melbourne then drive from there, but which commodore that upto you. "real eg. my ride cost me 400 for a vc 1981, my bros 450 for a vn 1988"

Back in 98 my olds did drive from townsville to perth, only costing about 500 dollars on fuel but thats cutting straight across in the 4x4.

I would suggest going straight up the coast and always watch your fuel usage at certain points, you could possible save more fuel going the extra bit slower.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Goon said:
It might be a good idea to buy a ride in melbourne then drive from there, but which commodore that upto you.
I agree, buy a commodore from melbourne. It'll save you some money. For example, I travel backwards and forwards regularly from Launceston to Hobart, (actually, I did that today!) and that alone was around $50 fuel one way in the VN. Plus, you'd also have to go out to Devonport to the Spirit, so theres another $30 or so in petrol. And then you have the added cost of $150 to transport a car on the spirit, depending on the time of year So your looking at around $230 just to get out of Tassie, where as a flight to melbourne is around $70.

But as for which commodore to buy? Well, the VN - VS (don't know about models up from that) are reasonably good on fuel. Not sure which one in that model range would be the best, ultimately the choice is up to you....

Have fun on your road trip though!

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Do it in style hire a BMW M5...and sit on 270 Km/hr all the way :D

MBS206

Reaction score
VS Commodore if you can find a good cheap one.

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
vn Series 2, S-pac ,5 speed i say! . Cost ya less then 4000 for the car, good of fuel cause its manual and plenty o power!.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
get a vl, they have more comfy seats for such a long trip. i'd go the inland route as well.

X

xu1au

u going from the fridge to the oven mate,,why the big move??