Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tax back ?????

smokey_dj

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn series 2 exec [URMONY] & 93 vp calais
ok ppl i might be going full time soon and stocky and i were shooting the breeze about this tonight at his work what exactly can you claim back on tax to maximise your return

i know of the one where you can claim every km for work back by buying a newspaper from your most local shop every time on your way to work and even claim back for the paper

mike said you can claim for $2 something a day just for getting your uniform washed

so what else is there that you can claim back so you can get those personalised plates you wanted or a new engine or charger or rims or whatever as alotof ppl do when they get what they get returned

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I don't know who told you that you can claim for buying a paper and the k's to do so each day, because that is not right in most instances.

You can only claim work related expenses if it is spent as part of earning your income. You cannot claim driving to and from work, even if you stop to buy the paper. You can claim mileage if you use your car for work related purposes. For example if your a tradesperson and you leave your workshop to visit a client. But you must keep the appropriate records/receipts.

As far as the paper is concerned, if you were in the financial field for example, you could claim the cost of the Financial Times as that would be considered work related.

If your a tradesperson, you can claim the cost of tools purchased for your trade. You can claim laundry expenses for washing work uniforms that are provided by the Company, not every day clothing though for instance if your an office worker.

When you lodge your tax return, there is a comprehensive guide to what exactly can be claimed and what receipts you need to keep.

C.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ok ppl i might be going full time soon and stocky and i were shooting the breeze about this tonight at his work what exactly can you claim back on tax to maximise your return

i know of the one where you can claim every km for work back by buying a newspaper from your most local shop every time on your way to work and even claim back for the paper

Uhh I'd be careful with that one if I were you.

mike said you can claim for $2 something a day just for getting your uniform washed

Sort of. You can claim for the maintenance on uniforms (I don't know if that rate is right or wrong). The uniform must have the logo of your employer on it and there are several other rules as to what is considered a uniform or not. A nice shirt/tie or pair of duds with no logo's etc is not considered a uniform even if you use them exclusively for work.

so what else is there that you can claim back so you can get those personalised plates you wanted or a new engine or charger or rims or whatever as alotof ppl do when they get what they get returned

Read your tax pack when you get it. There are a heap of things listed for each industry as to what is allowed or not. If in doubt talk to your accountant - this can be very expensive if you get it wrong.

Reaper

smokey_dj

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 vn series 2 exec [URMONY] & 93 vp calais
hence why i was asking ive never had to do tax b4 cause ive only been doing tafe courses and what not up till 6 months ago then just recently got my proper first job but im not getting the hours iwant obviously as im on call lol but yeah not aiming for the life of the full time worker so i was just curious

thanks clair and reaper anymore opinions/facts ppl ???

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
if you are going to try and claim things like that, you have to have proof that it was used for work purposes, and you must provide details eg. Reciepts and calculations that you used to work out the info.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
As for claiming the kays ya do that all depends on your job and if ya on call i would say ya not a tradie so have fun claiming ya kays I have to keep a log book on all my kays I do in my ute as im claiming it on work but I can claim all my ks as I carry my tools all the time not just from site to site as some can only claim and i wouldent think its $2 a day for washing ya own clothes but I could be wrong and if ya work outdoors and have to provide ya own hat sunnies and sunscreen ya can claim all that sort of stuff hope that helps ya abit.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If you do your own tax online using etax, there is a formula to use for working out cost of laundry and also cost of using your own vehicle for work.

Reality is, it depends what line of work your in as to what your entitled to claim as a deduction.

If you really want to know in advance so you can keep the right receipts/documents, once you secure a job, you could try ringing the ATO and seeing if they have a brochure on what you can claim.

C.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
As for claiming the kays ya do that all depends on your job and if ya on call i would say ya not a tradie so have fun claiming ya kays I have to keep a log book on all my kays I do in my ute as im claiming it on work but I can claim all my ks as I carry my tools all the time not just from site to site as some can only claim and i wouldent think its $2 a day for washing ya own clothes but I could be wrong and if ya work outdoors and have to provide ya own hat sunnies and sunscreen ya can claim all that sort of stuff hope that helps ya abit.
when you keep a log book you need to keep it for 3 consecutive months and that is valid for up to 5 years. if you feel you are using more work kays then in your last log book period you should do it again

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
Whats the go with claiming a car?
If i own a business and say buy a car and use it as a rolling business card (eg: decals and stickers with company name), can i claim on that? does it depend on what field my company is in or can it be any? (always wanted to know)